Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What trail(s) was I on????  (Read 2228 times)

dougroch

• Back Packer
What trail(s) was I on????
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »

I remember a weekend backpacking trip from the mid 90's with a few friends in the Cumberland Gap area that I would like to repeat.... Unfortunately I have lost contact with the friends I went with.  Hopefully, somebody on this site will have an idea what I am talking about.  Here is what I remember of the trip:
Day 1: A very long tough uphill hike, a neverending ridge and camping in a large grassy field near a fast moving stream. I am sure I am remembering it as tougher than it actually was.... This day probably qualifies for the top 5 toughest days of backpacking in KY I have had.
Day 2: Don't recall much aside from 2 side trips (I dont recall the order in which we visited these); the first was to a very large rock shelter with deep sand, my buddies called it "Sand Cave", the second was at the top of a very high cliff, the only other thing I remember about this cliff top was thinking "If I had a frisbee to throw from the top of here it would probably fly for miles".  After the 2 side trips was a relatively short steep downhill trail to a parking area.

Hopefully someone out there can get me on the right track to figuring out what trail or trails I was on.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:37:36 PM by dougroch »

copper creek

• Thru Hiker
  • I hope my knees hold out
Re: What trail(s) was I on????
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »

Sounds like you went to Ewing, Va and hiked up to the ridge trail to Martin's Fork, then back, going by Sand Cave and White Rocks Overlook.  I've not been, but I know there are others on this site that have.  Its on my list of places to go.  Map:  http://www.nps.gov/cuga/planyourvisit/upload/Hiking%20and%20Camping.pdf

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:18:09 AM »

You definitely went to Sand Cave and White Rocks... up on top of Cumberland Mountain in Cumberland Gap National Historic Park.

How you got there I'm not really sure.... if you didn't remember going through an old primitive settlement (Hennseley Settlement) you may have gotten up there on the Ewing trail... that starts at the civic center near Ewing, VA.

There are 2 other ways to get up there past Henneseley I'm pretty sure.... up from Martins Fork like Copper suggested and there is another trail on the south side, Chadwell Gap, but I think it starts west of the Settlement on the south side of Cumberland Mtn.. if memory serves me correctly.

Any way you take is a haul... especially if its your first time hiking.... quite honestly if it was your first time you probably would have thought you were on a death march because Cumberland Mountain is pretty much 2500 feet straight up.  I can speak with experience because this was the first hike I ever took in KY... with 35-45 pounds on my back, with little experience and I ended up finding snow on top and I had to hike right back down and my knee gave out about 150 feet from my truck at the bottom..... one of my finest memories....

The view is awesome from up top because Powel Valley, which you are looking at over is pretty much flat till the Appalachians rise up again all the way in North Carolina... on a clear day you can see to North Carolina from up there...

White Rocks is also very historical... its was a major landmark settlers used to know when Cumberland Gap was only a day away...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:22:10 AM by Cliftyman »
erchomai kurios lesous...

dougroch

• Back Packer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 06:14:40 PM »

Thanks for the info.
Anyone a regular to this area? Is it typically busy?

sticks

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »

I am going there Memorial Day weekend.  As far as busy... it can be but not usually.

I have the cabin reserved and you are welcome to visit and sit a spell

dougroch

• Back Packer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:15 PM »

Finally got in contact with an old friend that went on this trip..

We hiked the Gibson gap trail to the ridge trail and ended on the Ewing trail.

dougroch

• Back Packer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »

Sticks--
Thanks for the invite but my holiday weekend is already jammed packed with family functions  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy