Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dogs on trails.....  (Read 5317 times)

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
Re: Dogs on trails.....
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2002, 11:38:48 PM »

Yeah, I see the point. I still can't quite define what disturbs me about the idea; I guess it's like this: I figure that I'm a rational being with the ability to use significant symbols. If I want to bust my butt carrying a load up the side of a mountain, then I'm entitled to my own stupidity. But to make a loyal, obedient animal do likewise seems kinda mean.

Now, don't fuss at me! I know that my gut emotional reaction to doggie packing makes no sense at all. If we humans hadn't domesticated animals and turned them into beasts of burden, we'd all still be hiking full time.

And I'm not even consistent! Not long ago, I caught a few minutes of a TV show about a kind of cross country skiing that involves being towed by dogs, and I tought it looked like a load of fun. And that must be a lot harder on the dog than carrying a bit of food. And I've really liked the trail riders I've run across without giving a second thought to the fact that those horses are carrying not only the riders themselves but all their gear and food.

But then, I've never let a desire for consistency force me to change an opinion about anything!

sticks

• Back Packer
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2002, 07:51:33 AM »

Do not feel sorry for the dogs carrying their food.  Mine get just as fired up when I bring out their packs as I do as I pack mine...in fact they just watch me pack until I get theirs' out then they go crazy with [glb]anticipation[/glb]  of the upcoming trip that they now know they are going on.

Besides why would I want to carry 5-10 pounds of dog food for them when they don't even know it's there.  For a two night trip that is 6 cups of food each dog.  I also keep 20oz coke bottles in the packs to fill so they can have water through the dry areas on summer trips.

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2002, 12:58:17 PM »

I have taken my dog on hikes for 12 years.  The end of his hiking career has come at this point due to his age.

1) dogs can carry stuff with no problem.  My dog sam used to beg for his pack because he associated it with camping which he loves.

2) it's easier to train a dog not to ruin your wilderness experience than it is an idiot person so to all of you who mentioned that as a point, I'd spend your time figuring out how to get rid of idiots before I figured out how to get rid of dogs.  That will maximize your wilderness experience.

3)  Dogs have been in the woods as long as people have.

4)  People who don't like dogs need to be shipped to special re-education camps where they learn to love dogs and skeet shoot cats.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

RWillieK

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2002, 01:09:26 PM »

Good everyone has convinced me I can take the dog with me, but I guess I have to get one now :)  It'll be a few weeks though :)

Robbie
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2002, 03:26:41 PM »

Hey PM_Thumper!  You need to learn the CORRECT art of ticking people off.  Your too nice man!  

.... Come to think of it I might be able to learn something from your method of wording threads!  8)
erchomai kurios lesous...

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2002, 07:32:08 PM »

Little dogs make a much funnier yelp when they fall off of high spots, though.  Although big dogs make a better SPLAT! at the end. :P
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2002, 11:08:10 PM »

Hey clifty, you're ugly and yer mama dresses you funny. Go jump in the lake!

(Is that any better?)

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2002, 03:09:56 AM »

Reminds me of a  great dog story that I was involved with.  A group of us were camping about halfway down Rock Bridge Road and about 3 miles in and there was one couple with a dog.  Part beagle it think.  Anyway it was around freezing that night  and I heard the dog owner unzip his tent and (later i found out He was getting rid of some White Castles) walk out into the woods.  The fire was just smoldering and it was very dark you know the Gorge darkness I'm talking about.  I didn't think anything about and fell back to sleep.  In the morning I learned that He wlked out to do his duty  with dead batteries in his flashlight and couldn't find his way back to camp.  He said he was yelling at the top of his lungs but he had wandered off so far that no one heard him.  He has the bright idea off calling his dog and sure enough the dog came right to him and walked him right to camp.  The dogs name is Shadow and now I hear he eats steak for dinner.  

There are pluses and minuses I guess.  I do recall a trip to Big South Fork where two unrully dogs absolutely ruined any chance of finding the solitude we were all looking for.  They were fighting over each others food, etc.   it was a mess.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2002, 03:14:36 AM by wornoutboots »
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2002, 03:35:57 AM »

Thats the way PM_Thumper!!! Keep up the good work 8)
erchomai kurios lesous...

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
    • KyDan's garden and hiking pages
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2002, 11:17:05 AM »

Neat dog story!

And Thumper -- you forgot the part about his momma
wearing army shoes.

You pretty much got it covered tho......

WE REALLY don't have enough to do!!
.....and your little dog TOTO too!
Dan D.
Louisville KY  good ole USA
Visit my dayhiking page!
 http://ky-dan.com

eukeofearl

• Over Nighter
    • Travels and pictures of 'eukeofearl'...aka RoJoYo
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »

I have really enjoyed going back through archived threads and reading topics of interest to me.  I hesitate to resurrect such topics but since this one dealt with dogs on trails...and particularly dogs carrying packs and ID...and since i saw no pictures on topic, i decided to contribute.  Meet Luther...a full blooded G.Shep. from police stock.  Luther is a great hiker...always carrys his own food, wears proper ID and a bell.  Pavlov's dog salivated to a bell ringing...Luther demands his pack...its hysterical to watch him when he hears it. 

Here are two pics of Luther...one on trail and the other in camp after a six mile hike.
"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing." 
Ben Franklin

Woodsman

• Day Hiker
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »

I have a black lab named coda who loves to hike. we live on a farm so she is no stranger to the woods or the critters that live in them. We normally keep her on leash when we hike (In most places it is mandatory) because some people are afraid of dogs no matter how cute and friendly they are. Labs are very obedient and are easy to train. They get great satisfaction in pleasing the owner. If I ever got lost she could lead me back exactly the way we came with her incredible nose.  She is the ultimate hiking companion, she never gets tired or complains! And like a previous poster said she is better behaved and quieter than a lot of the campers you come across in the gorge ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Privacy Policy