Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dogs on trails.....  (Read 5320 times)

RWillieK

• Thru Hiker
Dogs on trails.....
« on: December 16, 2002, 11:10:49 PM »

I'm still trying to convince my wife to let me get a dog - I want a yellow lab, mostly for backpacking.  OF course I'll be getting it from the Humaine Society somewhere......and as a yougin'.  

How do people feel about dogs on trails?  I am going to train it to behaive etc....but what about trail etiquette for dogs?  I don't want to worry about having a leash on it all the time, but I don't want it to bother others.

Robbie
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
Re: Dogs on trails.....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 11:29:21 PM »

I personally don't have a problem with dogs on trails - leashed or unleashed - so long as they're well-trained and well-behaved. A lot has to do with how popular the area is. I'd consider it somewhat ill-mannered to let a dog run around on a really heavily used trail. Also, I put dog poop in the same ethical category as human poop - something that should be buried 200 feet from any trail or water source.

I have to admit to being a little envious of folks who have dogs who can be good hiking/backpacking companions. There's a fellow who hikes around the CGNHP that I've met a couple of times. His German shepherd is always by his side; man and dog seem to share such a special bond. My little mutt is more interested in chasing squirrels than in hiking, or I'd take her with me.

Hikers often share the woods with 'coon and fox hunters who run their dogs. I find it very comforting to lie awake in the woods and listen to the baying of the dogs in pursuit; brings back pleasant childhood memories.

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 11:48:32 PM »

I agree.  Dogs are cool with me, as long as they don't go jumping up on other people, growling, or whatever.  And you should deal with the poop the same way as your own.  The animals that live in the woods are the only ones that have the right to take a dump wherever they want.  

Also, as far as leashes go, I don't know that they actually ARE good ideas in some spots.  Think about it:  the dog goes over a cliff face, for whatever reason, and you're hanging on to it.  Guess where you wind up, especially if it's a bigger dog.
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 11:48:56 PM »

This subject came up back in February.  I think Jason asked the same question.  My comments were that I had seen more than one occasion where the dog got seperated from the owner/hiker and was never reunited.  One day while hiking out of Charit Hostel my son and I spent the better part of an hour trying to help some guy find his lost dog, a shepard.  I later found out through email, that he never found the dog.  

Years later, a very odd thing happened.  While Jason, Arthur and I were hiking this very same trail back in mid February this year, we had a Golden Retreiver catch up with us as we were hiking out of Charit Hostel.  Thinking it was owned by a group that was following us, we didn't pay much attention until this group loaded into their cars and left the dog behind.  The dog then followed us for about 3 miles until taking up with a couple of backpackers that we met later on the trail.  The dog had a collar, and the owners were from Knoxville, but there appeared to be a serious seperation of the owners and dog, again.

If your dog is 99% obedient, then there is probably not a problem.  However, all of the Labs that I have owned, seem to have a mind of their own at times.  I can just see my dogs taking off over the edge of a cliff while chasing a deer or turkey.  
Peace

Gene

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 11:51:16 PM »

Rwillie:

By the way, Labs are super dogs, my favorite by far.  I have had two blacks and a yellow.  They seem to be very loving and great around little kids.
Peace

Gene

Redbeard

• Thru Hiker
  • Howdy!
    • Cartercentral
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 02:14:27 AM »

I generally do not like dogs on the trail, although thats not to say I don't like dogs.  I have had a few bad experiences with barking dogs and agressive dogs in the woods. >:(    A loud dog completely blows the solitude of camping experience for me, I get enough barking dogs in the city.

My other complaint is that when I've hiked with them they scare off all the wildlife before I have a chance to see it.    

sticks

• Back Packer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 08:27:43 AM »

I take my dogs all the time and training is the key.  If you want to see wildlife you have two options which I use.  Either train them to not chase things or as in the case of the two I have now I keep them in heel, which is also the best way to be in high use areas anyway.

One of the first things I start training is not to drop a load on the trail,  they don't go 200' but they don't do it on the trail.  

As far as lost dogs that again is poor training.  Your dog should be well trained to stay, leave, heel, and especially the "come" command.  I always give my guys praise when they obey a 'come' command even when they are doing something bad when I call them back.  I think most of the lost dogs are also city dogs that have never been to the woods, so between all the new smells and poor training they are soon lost dogs.

Of the two I have now, one I have to tie up at night to keep her from running all night while the other one is very seldom a problem.

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
    • KyDan's garden and hiking pages
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2002, 11:15:03 AM »

If yer taking votes I gotta agree with RedBeard.
Hiking dogs like screaming children can snatch away
that feeling of aloneness you get on the trail.

Suddenly you hear a familiar sound and you realize
you haven't left civilization at all.

I also have memories of meeting people on the trail with
dogs.  I round a corner and am met face to face with
a BIG dog.  First thought - am I going to be attacked??
Usually the dog is friendly, too friendly.
I've had "nice doggies" that weighed 100 lbs step
on my feet and once had a lab nose me in the crotch so
hard that I walked bent over for several minutes.

If you can teach your dog to heel ALL the time.
Crap way off trail.
Never bark unless there is genuine danger.
Never run ahead.
Never chase the wildlife or other hikers in fun or aggression.

I would vote OK.

I don't believe you can do that.
At some point you will be busy setting up camp,
taking a pee, looking at the scenery, filling your water
bottle or eating lunch and your dog will do one
of the above.

Dogs will be dogs.

And yeah I have a dog.  She doesn't go hiking.
She has gone to the lake with us and camped with
us but she was on leash and or in our tent or in our
boat......

If you have no hiking partner and must hike alone,
I would give you a very wary thumbs up IF your dog
is like Rin Tin Tin or Lassie.

Just my 4 cents worth.

.....and your little dog TOTO too!
Dan D.
Louisville KY  good ole USA
Visit my dayhiking page!
 http://ky-dan.com

RWillieK

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2002, 02:22:42 PM »

I don't plan on taking the dog on the trail for any extended trips for many years.  My plans would be as many people mentioned, to keep the dog either at my side, or just in front all the time.  no running off, no chasing things.  This would have to be accomplished off the trail.  Displine would be a must, I know the dog couldn't be running off after things.  I don't know a whole lot about dog traning, but I would like to have two, or three "modes" if you will.  The first would just be letting the dog be free, this would be around the house, and in other acceptable settings.  SEcond would be on the trail, always walking either next to me, or just in front.  Third, I would like the dog to walk exclusivly by my side, when I stop, it would sit and wait for me to move on.

I don't know how fesible it is, or how to differentiate from one to the next......maybe a regular collar for one, a pinch collar for another etc.

I would not allow the dog to jump on anyone at any time, and would not want the dog to bark at every little thing......but as KyDan said, Dogs will be dogs....

As for the hiking partner.....my wife does not enjoy the trails a much as I do.  If I could, I'd be out every weekend, and then some.

I think I have figured out why I want a dog so much these days.  I would like to have a kid one of these days I can go backpacking with.  But we are not ready to have kids.  A dog however, is a suitable replacement, and hopefully will be willing to do things with me.

Besides my wife got her two cats, I'm not really a cat person........I've always grown up with one to two dogs.....besides the cats wouldn't do so well on the trail :)

Robbie

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2002, 03:56:01 PM »

Here's another thought. I've never seen this in action, but I understand that some people get a sort of saddlebag for their dogs and make them carry their own provisions, and even some of the gear.

There's something about this practice that I find disturbing, though I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I guess I just have an aversion to dogs being used as pack animals, even though I'm sure a big dog is strong enough to do it.

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 04:14:03 PM »

Like I said, if ya have to hike alone and the dog is
rin tin tin go for it.

As to the doggie pack.....

wolfpacks.com

Why not let the dog carry his own stuff??
A couple cans of dog food and some water
should be OK.

Dan D.
Visit my dayhiking page!

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2002, 04:22:28 PM »

Don't mean to be a thread hog but.....
I've also ran into lost dogs on the trail.
It's heart breaking to find a dog with a collar
but no real ID that you know is hungry or lost and
frightened.
Been there done that so if/when you get your dog

DO put a collar with a capsule containing all
your contact info.  Cell phone home phone name
etc etc.....
Here is a snip from the wolfpack site that made me
think of this.

"Mimbres carries an emergency ID card, an idea I picked up from reading other customers' comments. This is good insurance for our backcountry trail runs, as we usually go alone."

A simple 35mm film can taped to his collar could take
care of this.  Dog tags are good too but can't contain
all the info you really want.
Hey after all, rin tin tin might have to save YOU one day.

Dan D.
Visit my dayhiking page!

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2002, 05:09:58 PM »

... I always wanted a pet wildcat with a spiked collar, I know I'll never get one but how would that be for a hiking companion!
erchomai kurios lesous...

sticks

• Back Packer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2002, 08:01:02 PM »

Well I hike alone but neither of my dogs are named Rin Tin Tin...just Otis
and Lucy

« Last Edit: December 17, 2002, 08:07:03 PM by sticks »

RWillieK

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2002, 10:16:07 PM »

I would definatly have a tag, and then some other ID on the dog!

As for the packs, as long as they are carrying their own food, I think its cool.  What a few pounds of food going to do to a dog, other than maybe slow it down a little :)

Thanks for all the input :)

Robbie
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Privacy Policy