Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My latest idea for hikers  (Read 6410 times)

23rd_member

My latest idea for hikers
« on: July 26, 2002, 10:25:30 PM »

I have recently started to build a flock of goats. I want to train them for trail use for hikers and backpackers. I have seen people use dogs for this purpose and I thought I'd try it with goats. I thought goats would be an excellent choice because they don't bark, their poops are not smelly and slippery like a dog's, and they are more sure-footed on rock than dogs. Also, people in Peru use llamas and alpacas for this purpose. Plus, if you get stranded out in a blizzard, goat meat would beat eating melted snow. The biggest obstacle thus far is their stubbornness. Do you think training goats for this purpose would be a huge waste of time

::) or do you feel a well-trained goat could be helpful to hikers/backpackers?

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
Re: My latest idea for hikers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2002, 11:46:04 PM »

helpful how?  like a beast of burden? mmmm rollingstonesalicious!
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

23rd_member

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 01:30:27 AM »

For carrying packs  ::)! However, if you come across any good recipes for "Goat's Head Soup (Stew?)", please post them here.  :-*

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 02:20:47 AM »

come on now... have some sympathy for the (poor) devil ...
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

23rd_member

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2002, 12:12:25 PM »

I bet Julia Child would roll 'em in "Brown Sugar"!  :P They're too cute to even think of eating. I have a brother and sister I call "Oliver Twist" and "Morgan Le Fay". They are about 16 weeks of age.

Trekker_Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • Outpost
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2002, 01:58:25 PM »

1. You couldn't pitch your tent.  Every time you bent over the goat would butt you into the trees.

2.  You couldn't take the females on expeditions to Wyoming or Montana because the bighorn rams would come from miles around.  
Make America Green Again. Vote Trekker Forrest for President 2020.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2002, 12:46:38 PM »

Thats awesome!  Emily and I were going to get some goats one of these days, now I've found my calling in life.  I will be a pack-goat trainer!
erchomai kurios lesous...

23rd_member

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2002, 12:48:13 PM »

TF, your #1 reason provides a visual for a good belly laugh :D! Your second brings up something I had not considered. That would be an important consideration. I guess you could use only whethered males, in that case. Imagine waking up to a campsite surrounded by bighorns!
Yesterday's experience brings up another reason against this idea. While I was bathing Morgan, Oliver got bored and wandered off. He came back in about 10 minutes. When I went to the house later, I noticed that somebody had eaten a major portion of a potted palm tree on the front porch  :o. I wonder who did that?

Since goats are basically little more than eating machines, they could do a lot of damage in an environmentally sensitive area. I guess they could be muzzled, but it seems that this might frustrate an animal that is already stubborn. It could be even more difficult to gain their cooperation if they were muzzled.

I guess we'll practice a bunch here at home before we venture out into the world at large!

23rd_member

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2002, 12:52:43 PM »

Clifty, they are lots of fun and very cute to watch as they play. I'll keep you posted on their/my progress.

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2002, 01:17:32 PM »

i've gotten some pretty strange looks hiking in eastern kentucky with my niece... a goat is definitely out !!
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2002, 04:41:11 PM »

Ha ha.
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

Crazybound

• Over Nighter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2002, 01:15:06 PM »

I love goats, kabobs, stew, ribs, oh sorry.  
I agree they could be bad for sensitive areas but they could work wonders for trail maintenance.  I think it would be great to have for drawing in wild life to the camp site, then you would not have to do all that walking around ;D

Trekker_Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • Outpost
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2002, 03:24:23 PM »

Why, sure. I can see you now, sitting up all night around a campfire with your shotgun protecting your cute little virgin goats from all those hormonal bighorn rams and Rocky Mountain male sheep.

Back in Kentucky, you'll also be dealing with every bear in three counties. They consider tender goat a rare delicacy.

Not to mention coyote and fox. And if you tried a trip to the Northwoods, wolves.  

This idea is just full of potential drama.    
Make America Green Again. Vote Trekker Forrest for President 2020.

Crazybound

• Over Nighter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2002, 04:21:02 PM »

OK maybe but think about all the great photo's I could post on the site.
Here is one of my goats being eaten by a bear, and here is one being eaten by a wolf and here is fox chewing my leg after a ram knocked me senseless.
:o

daffy_duk

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2002, 03:09:48 AM »

Oh, well...back to the drawing board ;D!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Privacy Policy