Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloudsplitter?  (Read 6466 times)

js

• Thru Hiker
Re: Cloudsplitter?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2002, 05:51:41 PM »

;D ;D

How very true.  I was planning on taking my young cousin and a buddy of mine backpacking yesterday, but we got to the Gorge and the whole place was packed.  Even the spot by the concrete bridge that leads into the Clifty Wilderness.  

Getting to my point, however, there was a guy parked along the road just down from Angel Windows in hunting gear loading a rifle.  I can only assume he'd decided to do some poaching on forest land.  I went on, because I was unarmed except for my knife that I carry, and he was loading a rather large rifle.  So we made a quick stop at the Gladie site and told the ranger there what we had seen.  I hope they busted his ass.  
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

quietone

• Over Nighter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2002, 07:45:24 PM »

I just got back from the Gorge. We stopped at the bridge where Red River Outdoors puts their canoes in. Anyway there were alot of Park Rangers there and a K-9 unit to. One of the Rangers said that some guy from Indiana had fell and broke his leg right above the ankle, ouch!!!!!
Knowing is not enough,We must apply. Willing is not enough, We must do.  Bruce Lee.

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2002, 10:40:34 PM »

wuss. ;)

treehugger

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2002, 02:10:19 AM »

I hiked around Double Arches today. It was beautiful outside. There is still quite a bit of color at the Gorge. There were quite a few people out, but it wasn't too bad. Hearing shots fired in the distance was really bothersome though.
i like trees and water. and bugs. and beer. and rocks. and you.

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2002, 02:35:23 PM »

JS,

2002-03 Kentucky Hunting Seasons
DEER - Modern Gun November 9-18, 2002, Zones 3, 4
DBNF, Clifty Wilderness and as I understand it the Gorge all permit hunting.

If you don't like hunters click on the link below to plan your outdoor activities appropriately...

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/pdf/kyhunt02.pdf

Wear your blaze orange
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

I.B.ME

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2002, 05:32:45 PM »

We took a church group to Cumberland falls over the weekend.  If you want to stay away from hunters that area is a wildlife refuge and thus does not allow hunting.  Day hikes are plenty but I don't think camping is allowed inside the refuge.
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. -- Abraham Maslow

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2002, 08:08:21 PM »

I didn't think hunting was legal in the Gorge.  I didn't know that hunting was legal on any government land.  I guess the ranger thought that I was an idiot.  Just one more to add to the long list...

which I suppose includes everybody around here too...

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2002, 08:31:00 PM »

Yep huntings legal on most federal lands with permit from the park service.  Somebody has to keep the population down, cause the hunters of yesterday decided they would kill all the predators.  I didn't do my part this weekend but I hope to do a service to the environment this weekend.  

ummmmmm venisonlicious!!!!!!!
erchomai kurios lesous...

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2002, 11:41:59 PM »

Learn something new every day...

Which usually means that I forget what I learned the day before. :)

I will second that alicious, however.  I quit hunting some years ago, mostly because I'm a lousy shot, but I do so love deer meat.  

I've no problem with hunters, as long as they don't go trashing up the place.  I just honestly didn't think you could hunt on federal land.  Unfortunately, most hunters around here chuck beer cans and empty shell casings everywhere they go, and they ride around on 4wheelers and shoot at anything that appears even remotely alive.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2002, 11:44:32 PM by js528 »

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2002, 01:36:13 AM »

Yeah theres trash everywhere, and not just the inanimate kind!  I try not to hunt for the sport but to keep the population healthy and to eat!  Every now and then I dream of a big set of antlers though.....
erchomai kurios lesous...

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2002, 02:05:10 AM »

I never did hunt for the sport.  I never killed anything that I didn't eat.  

Not to bash anybody for that, because a big ole rack looks nice above a fireplace, but I cared more about the meat.  We don't have a fireplace. :'(
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Privacy Policy