Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: rockshelter Ban  (Read 5871 times)

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
Re: rockshelter Ban
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2002, 05:00:36 PM »

Here's my take.

Several rockshelters especially ones near the road are trashed by people camping in them.  Now they're closed.  Out of fear of getting caught, many people will hike in deeper into the woods and camp in more pristine overhangs to avoid getting caught by rangers or getting scolded by more conciencious hikers.

That will disturb rockshelters that would otherwise not be camped in or at least accelerate the process of them being camped in.  It only takes a few campfires to render the carbon dating that archeologists want to do useless.  Not to mention the plants and animals being disturbed.

And if you think the average camper in the gorge will do the right thing for the right reason, well God bless you.

I visited a rockshelter over the weekend 3 miles off trail only to find a brand new fire ring.  You could still see the sand underneath the ashes and it wasn't black yet.

Another one bites the dust.  I just wish they would have camped at the overhang on 221 near Chimney Top Road.  It's already toast.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2002, 06:46:10 PM »

And if you think the average camper in the gorge will do the right thing for the right reason, well God bless you.

Now, timbros... where's your faith in your fellow man?
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2002, 07:27:28 PM »

Right next to the pile of toilet paper and beer cans......
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

Steve

• Thru Hiker
  • You got that right!
    • Off the Grid and On the Map
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2002, 08:41:24 PM »

Great point timbros. Thing is the FS probabbly shouldn't say you can camp in one rock shelter but not another, I guess it just has to be a blanket policy.  I'm not sure how to stop the problem.  Education is key, but usually doesn't reach the right people.  I really think the FS is moving toward designated campsights through out the Gorge, the user fee was most likely the first step in that direction.  Whether designated sites will take care of the problem or not I don't know, but the thing is the place is getting trashed.  While some over used areas can 'rehab' after a few years off, endangered species and archeological evidence can be lost forever.  Its a tough call, but the camping ban is all good in my humble opinion.  
There is nothing clean about clean coal.

Redbeard

• Thru Hiker
  • Howdy!
    • Cartercentral
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2002, 09:18:57 PM »

camping ban is all good in my humble opinion

Hey, isn't that sacrilege around here? ;D

I hope RRG will one day become a National Park, that maybe wishful thinking but it needs to be done.

Steve

• Thru Hiker
  • You got that right!
    • Off the Grid and On the Map
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2002, 02:44:16 AM »

I'm talkin' about the camping ban in rock shelters and along cliff line of course.

If the NPS took over the place it would be an even bigger mess than it is now.  Having  national park status the Red would attaract the rest of those in Ohio who have never visted the place.
There is nothing clean about clean coal.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Privacy Policy