Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elk in the Gorge or DBNF  (Read 6052 times)

js

• Thru Hiker
Re: Elk in the Gorge or DBNF
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2002, 08:01:40 PM »

I would say that's because the bear are on the far end of Swift Camp Creek, which is far too rough a trail for the drinking parties.  Really hard to get a cooler that far back into the woods.  Besides that, bears are fairly secretive animals.  They're more likely to steal from a campsite than to come up and beg for food.  
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

Steve

• Thru Hiker
  • You got that right!
    • Off the Grid and On the Map
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2002, 01:50:09 PM »

That makes total sense to me and I have often thought that was the case, but you must admit that there is a lot of free food (trash) in and around the popular spots fo the Gorge to attract a bear.
There is nothing clean about clean coal.

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2002, 07:47:08 PM »

Yes, but bears and other animals like that know that we are to be feared, and the smarter species (of which bear certainly qualify) know to stay away from us.  Those that don't usually end up in a cage, a freezer, or on a wall.

Besides, I'm sure the bears are there more often than we think.  Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, bears are quite stealthy.  They don't lumber around making all kinds of racket.  This is why most of the bear attacks in this country have to do with people just "stumbling across" a bear.  
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Privacy Policy