Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Elk in the Gorge or DBNF  (Read 6082 times)

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
Elk in the Gorge or DBNF
« on: September 10, 2002, 03:54:15 PM »

I am a little curious...  KY now has an Elk herd of around 2000 animals.  Do you think it will make it out of the Far Eastern part of the state into DBNF?  Could they make it to the part of the DBNF around Manchester and then cross over to the over 400,000 acres or so?  I don't know much about Elk, if they were like whitetail I might understand them more but there not.

Another thing, are there any turkey in RRG?  I didn't see any sign or hear any in my sole trip there.
erchomai kurios lesous...

Arthur

• KYWilderness Admin
  • Thru Hiker
  • Get out!
    • Kywilderness.com
Re: Elk in the Gorge or DBNF
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 03:57:21 PM »

there are plenty of turkeys,  just follow the beer cans!!!
What a time we had; splashed through bogs, ate like hogs, slept like logs  -- Holling Gustaf Vincoeur

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 05:23:01 PM »

Yeah ther's turkeys in the gorge, and not just buckeyes either.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 07:23:04 PM »

I wasn't talkin about the wild turkey you drink, I meant the wild turkeys that go "gobble, gobble, gobble"

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 07:25:11 PM »

This kind!  ;D

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2002, 07:28:28 PM »

And these guys were who I was wondering would eventually get into DBNF, well not this one at least.....

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2002, 07:38:46 PM »

I've never had the pleasure of seeing an elk in the wild. I've seen just about every other type of animal KY has to offer, though.  As far as turkey go, go around Swift Camp Creek and be real quiet, like you're hunting.  They're around there.  Just be patient.  
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

sticks

• Back Packer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2002, 08:24:56 PM »

Though there are none now I see no reason why there won't be.  If you make it out to Buffalo National River they bed down with the cattle 30 yards from the road.

They just don't take kindly to intruding bi-pedals and even then they give most tourons enough notice to back off.  Help the idiot that does not cause they are pretty good size.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2002, 08:32:44 PM »

I hate to say it but I almost feel people deserve it if they are dumb enough to play with a bull and get gored.  It brings to mind a video of a moron in Yellowstone trying to take a picture of a bison bull.  After he antagonized the bison for about 10 minutes the animal had had enough, it caught him up in its horns and it sent him about 15 ft. up into a tree, upside down and really messed up.

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2002, 12:27:32 AM »

That's what they make telephoto lenses and teleconverters and all that good stuff for.  Most people have sense enough not to mess with a bull in a pen on a farm, and compared to a wild animal, said bull is quite tame.  

I have a general rule:  If it can eat me or hurt me badly, I stay away from it.  Some aspects of nature are not meant to be viewed close-up.  

In other words, I agree with Clifty.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2002, 12:30:06 PM »

I guess it took about three-four years for turkeys to migrate back into Grayson co. after the forestry service to released them.  I think its safe to say that in 4-5 years there will be Elk in DBNF.  Too bad we can't release Wooley Mammoths, Wolfs, Black Bear and Bison and Panthers then KY would be like it used to be.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2002, 12:30:53 PM »

Oops I forgot warthogs in that list.  I think we still have a few of them left (and a couple of bears)

Trekker_Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • Outpost
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2002, 08:25:51 PM »

There are black bear in the Gorge, especially along and east of Swift Camp Creek.

And there are razorback hogs (wart hogs?) in the South Fork.
Make America Green Again. Vote Trekker Forrest for President 2020.

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2002, 02:03:10 AM »

mmmmm hamalicious....

Steve

• Thru Hiker
  • You got that right!
    • Off the Grid and On the Map
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2002, 02:15:12 AM »

I'd say ther are elk in the DBNF, maybe around the Redbird district.  If one can make it all the way up here to Fayette Co, then I'm sure they can make it to the forest.  I haven't seen or heard of any sightings in or around the RRG though.  

As for turkeys they are everywhere.  We're always russeling up one when we go climbing in obscure areas, and sometimes the not so obscure.  After thanksgiving laast year we were coming out of the Big Sinking oil fields  from a day of climbing when right there in the middle of Bald Fork Rd there were at least 30 turkeys strutting their stuff out of a field and into the woods.  They got in a little hurry when my Jeep raced up to the top of the hill, but seemed more put out than anything.  I turned off the engine and we rolled down the windows and listened to them cluck at us.  That many turkeys clucking and strutting through the woods makes for a lot of noise.  They usually scare us half to death when they take flight, which is a sight to see all together.

Now TF, you are always coming around here saying that there are bear in the eastern end of the Gorge.  I used to sorta laugh it off and figure that was 20 years ago there couldn't be any around today or they'd be raiding Buckeye's beer bashes and beannie weenie roasts.   When Natural Bridge had its little problem this summer I started to rethink things.  So my new thougth is that if there are bear in the Gorge how come they aren't biting the hands off drunk Buckeyes every other weekend?  
There is nothing clean about clean coal.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Privacy Policy