Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: it's been a while....  (Read 3469 times)

koneko

• Day Hiker
it's been a while....
« on: August 28, 2002, 11:00:59 AM »

hey all -

it's been quite some time since my first and only trip to RRG. my plans are to head down and re-acquaint myself with the area. i'd love some good starter trails - when the place isn't as busy as other times and anything else you want to throw my way.

i'm really excited about it - just gotta plan the day =)

'neko

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
Re: it's been a while....
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 11:10:21 AM »

if you really want the place mostly to yourself, go in the winter.  when there's snow on the ground, seems the good ol' boys would rather drink their beer in thier mobile homes than venture out into the elements.
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

koneko

• Day Hiker
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 12:14:16 PM »

excellent plan =) thanks

however, i don't want to wait for the winter =)

impatient 'neko
« Last Edit: August 28, 2002, 12:14:54 PM by koneko »

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 01:46:50 PM »

i can definitely understand that.  but, if you don't, you’ll just have to accept the fact that there will be other people there… and in some places, LOTS of other people.  Stick to the longer trails and consider some off trail excursions if you want some form of solitude.
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

koneko

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 02:25:11 PM »

sounds like a plan, now i just need some good suggestions =)

come on - you guys are the experienced ones here - hook me up with a few names, and i'll head off to check em out (that is when i get some free time *ugh*)

'neko

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 04:55:01 PM »

Go find RedByrd Arch, there probably won't be too many folks up there.

Rough Trail, Double-Arch those are usually a little more secluded (taken from a real know it all on a little known subject hehe)
erchomai kurios lesous...

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 09:48:48 PM »

Rough Trail is good bet for a little peace and quiet(depending on the section).

and... you might as well stop by Pilot Knob while you're in the area.  If you go on a weekday, you'll likely have the place to yourself.  Awesome!
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

Trekker_Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • Outpost
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2002, 11:53:26 PM »

l. Park at Koomer Ridge, back at the parking lot not down in the campground. Hike down to Chimney Top Creek and follow the Sheltowee Trace around as if you're heading to the swinging bridge below Chimney Top. But when Adena Meadows opens out to your left, leave the trail and beat a path out through the high weeds into the open meadow. Nobody but us ever camps out there and it's great camping as long as you don't mind being in plain view of everyone looking down from Chimney Top Rock. You can also work your way over to the base of Pinch Em Tight Rock, which has some nice camping, but it's further from the creek and water.

2. Park at Parched Corn Overlook. Hike down to Swift Camp Creek and turn right as the trail heads up alongside the stream. Very shortly you'll see a perfect campsite right along the stream except, of course, that it's also right alongside the trail. But that marks the best place to cross the stream to the East Side, aka The Upper Gorge. Since it's trailless, very few people ever go over there. People also do not like wading through water. Once you reach the other side, there are three miles of level benches just above the stream with great camping and tons of dead wood down for firewood. You'll hear wildcat scrowling at night, and black bear will probably visit your camp. Just hang your food and keep a fire smoldering.

3. Park at Grays Arch Picnic Loop and hike in to Grays Arch. Ignore the Arch and follow the trail on down to Grays Branch, also known as House Rock Creek. Forget the trail and follow the creek upstream. Half a mile will bring you to the cliff face cul de sac. I guarantee you'll be alone, and it is a beautiful place to camp. You even have water, and if a storm were to move in, you have shelter from the wind and rain. You have plenty of shade so it's cool all day even in this heat.

4. Driving from the old Children's Home past Rock Bridge Road toward Sky Bridge Road, park at the parking lot on your left. This is supposed to be the Wildcat Ridge Loop Trailhead lot, but they built it in the wrong place. To reach the Wildcat Trail, you actually have to hike about half a mile. But no matter; you're not going there. Go right across the road and head down Refitt's Branch Trail. This is an old trail no longer maintained by the Forest Service, so you may have a little climbing over or under fallen trees, but I was on it last Spring and it was clear. Since it is not marked, and doesn't look used, no one goes down it. You will reach the bottom and the trail will just cease, but in that valley you'll find great camping and you will definitely be alone. You have a great trailless area to explore. If you feel ambitious, you can follow Reffitt's Branch through half a mile of dense rhododendron forest to Swift Camp Creek. But you have water and solitude, and you're not far from the trailhead.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2002, 11:56:02 PM by Trekker_Forrest »
Make America Green Again. Vote Trekker Forrest for President 2020.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2002, 02:01:24 AM »

Sawheet!!
erchomai kurios lesous...

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2002, 02:03:11 AM »

yeah, thanks to koneko for the question... TF has given us the sweet lowdown.
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

koneko

• Day Hiker
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2002, 03:25:05 PM »

yes indeed - thanks trekker_forrest

as soon as i get a day off, i'll be headin that way.

'neko
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy