Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2021, 02:08:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

September 05, 2021, 03:38:18 PM
wow the time flies, and so does summer.
Much love to you all, on trail or off!  ;)

ShifuCareaga

July 01, 2021, 04:22:52 PM
greetings from afar/anear  :D

Arthur

March 11, 2021, 02:46:17 PM
ADMIN in the house!!   How has everyone been doing?

Bazinga

November 26, 2020, 06:41:38 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!!! Gobble Gobble  ;D

keith

July 04, 2020, 06:22:36 PM
Happy Independence Day!

Show 50 latest
11 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red River Gorge United receives $20K grant from Patagonia  (Read 848 times)

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
Red River Gorge United receives $20K grant from Patagonia
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:29:34 AM »

From The Lane Report
July 8, 2020

STANTON, Ky. Red River Gorge United (RRGU) has announced that it has been recently awarded a $20,000 grant from Patagonia, the outdoor apparel company founded by Yvon Chouinard in 1973.

Read More

"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Re: Red River Gorge United receives $20K grant from Patagonia
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »

I'm a bit unsure as to how the Red River Gorge Geological Area, which is protected as part of a national forest (with part of the RRGGA being in a designated wilderness area as well), is under threat from this proposed development. It is separated from the proposed development by a substantial chunk of private property and is on the other side of a state highway.

If Patagonia and Red River Gorge United are indeed concerned about impacts to the RRGGA, I think their efforts would be better focused by attempting to make it a national monument and limiting use to day hiking and addressing illegal ATV use in the Clifty Wilderness.

The efforts against this proposed development seem to basically amount to business owners concerned about competition, people resistant to change in any form (even before the "change" is accurately identified) and wild guesses about impacts from increased visitation rather than well-reasoned concerns about the landscape itself.

onemansadventure

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 08:44:34 PM »

I'm a bit unsure as to how the Red River Gorge Geological Area, which is protected as part of a national forest (with part of the RRGGA being in a designated wilderness area as well), is under threat from this proposed development. It is separated from the proposed development by a substantial chunk of private property and is on the other side of a state highway.

If Patagonia and Red River Gorge United are indeed concerned about impacts to the RRGGA, I think their efforts would be better focused by attempting to make it a national monument and limiting use to day hiking and addressing illegal ATV use in the Clifty Wilderness.

The efforts against this proposed development seem to basically amount to business owners concerned about competition, people resistant to change in any form (even before the "change" is accurately identified), and wild guesses about impacts from increased visitation rather than well-reasoned concerns about the landscape itself.

Good points.  The way the information provided by the developer reads, is they want to limit development on a swath of land along the Mountain Parkway and in a radius around the proposed resort.  That is two-fold.  They want to stop their own competition as well as to not have a 'Gatlinburg' pop up (no crappy shops or billboards).  Unfortunately, they are not willing to buy up those properties but want to control them.  I think that is what irritates a lot of locals and other business owners.  Losing their potential for their property.  The other aspect is the amount of state money they have requested and taken so far.

I have camped on the proposed site and have hiked it a couple of times.  It is mostly 20-30 years ago logged woods, with a dozen-plus arches, a decent-sized sinkhole plan, a few caves, and an A-frame cabin on it.  It is pretty but not a threat to destroying something special as I believe they call for leaving the natural features.

I think a lot of people think it will bring more people to the gorge and overrun it more.  My guess is it will not do much of that.  People that go and stay at resorts generally stay on site.  But the gorge has been incredibly overrun since you moved west.  It is crazy how many more people are out and about in Kentucky now than 5 years ago.  It is great to see, but also detrimental to a degree.

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 11:23:45 AM »

Is there a map showing the location of the proposed development?
Gorgin' since '74

onemansadventure

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 07:24:40 PM »

Is there a map showing the location of the proposed development?

This is not exact, but something I put together back when it was first announced.  I think they have a map somehere though, that is a bit more accurate on the property lines.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy