Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 01:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

keith

July 04, 2020, 06:22:36 PM
Happy Independence Day!

Bazinga

December 25, 2019, 06:11:55 AM
Ho Ho Ho Merry Chirstmas!!

Bazinga

November 28, 2019, 07:14:11 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!  Gobble till you wobble. LOL!

Bazinga

October 12, 2019, 07:24:47 AM
YAY!! Cooler Weather has Finally Arrived!!!  ;D

ShifuCareaga

January 02, 2019, 11:28:09 AM
tick warning. My kids picked up ticks WAYY out of season at BSF and Marrowbone, so check yourselves...

Show 50 latest
35 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fall Foliage Report 2019  (Read 1734 times)

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
Re: Fall Foliage Report 2019
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 08:35:41 AM »

shaman what a cool research project! And an incredible photo with the dog and turkey!

I will be heading down on Friday for the weekend, after the next big storm system blows through.

Betania

• Day Hiker
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 11:12:21 AM »

shaman what a cool research project! And an incredible photo with the dog and turkey!

I will be heading down on Friday for the weekend, after the next big storm system blows through.

Let us know what you find this weekend! I'm getting married outside near the gorge on November 9th, so I'm trying to keep an eye on what the color looks like. Fingers crossed that there will be some leaves left and they have some color :)
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 08:26:40 PM »

Nice color at Cave Run Lake on Sunday

The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

Doogal513

• Day Hiker
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 11:07:52 PM »

I did cloudsplitter Friday morning and camped out near Hanson's point Friday night. Having trouble sharing pix unfortunately. Says they are too big, even after I compressed them. 😕

shaman

• Thru Hiker
  • TreeHugger | Environmentalist | Farmer
    • t.r. filbin~photography
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »

I did cloudsplitter Friday morning and camped out near Hanson's point Friday night. Having trouble sharing pix unfortunately. Says they are too big, even after I compressed them. 😕

I'm not sure what this forum's max file size attachments are, your pic is 1.7375 megabytes and if it's limited to 1.0 megabyte you are almost double that. It doesn't seem right, usually only avatar pics are limited to that small of a file size.
If you have access to cloud storage or a photo sharing site you can do what I do: I click the insert image icon above (bottom row far left) and paste the file location within the brackets on this page. I can use the large .jpg file sizes I have on my website.
After the rains we've had, the color is definitely improving. It won't be a stunning autumn, but there will be nice pockets of color to be found.
How do you like the hammock? I have never been able to sleep well camping on the ground. I've been considering a large hammock so I can sleep kinda diagonally and avoid some of the sag. Do you use an under quilt?
***    https://shaman.smugmug.com    ***
                   EARTH FIRST
                  No Compromise   

~ TR

shaman

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 11:10:30 AM »

Yes, I was impressed with eagerness of all parties involved with the project. I got interested in it when a black bear ran through here a couple years ago and was told the young males usually get chased out of their home turf (after reaching sexual maturity) where they were born. So they spread out looking for new territory to claim.
I'm surrounded by wildlife AND cattle, so it's always an adventure walking around my small "farm".
Thanks for the nice compliment. That turkey shows up everywhere. He grew up here, raiding dog food and the chicken coop so he thinks he's part of the gang. :o
                   EARTH FIRST
                  No Compromise   

~ TR

Doogal513

• Day Hiker
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »

How do you like the hammock? I have never been able to sleep well camping on the ground. I've been considering a large hammock so I can sleep kinda diagonally and avoid some of the sag. Do you use an under quilt?

I love hammock camping. I prefer it to sleeping on the ground in a tent. It's not for everyone though. Finding the right amount of sag that works for you will take some tinkering. I have used an old sleeping bag as an underquilt before. I have one i think im going to gut and fill with down, It can be attached with some shockcord and biners. I usually just use a sleeping pad about half inflated. It will cut the breeze that blows right through they thin nylon. This weekend I didnt use anything, just had my pack underneath me on the ground. Having a large fly helps too, some go all the way to the ground and have "doors" on each end. Essentially making a tent around your hammock. That's going to be my next investment i think. That eno fly has worked great for 10 years but she did spring a leak durring all that rain Friday. So I couldn't stretch out like i wanted to.

Doogal513

• Day Hiker
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 01:41:01 PM »

Lol i guess i dont know how to use this at all haha

shaman

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 05:36:48 PM »

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of copying your pics so we can see them better. I used the method I described, putting the images on my website, then copying each location and inserting the addresses into the  brackets using the forum's embedded CSS configuration. It took me, and probably many others here, a few times to get this right the first time we tried to post our own pics.

I like the festive lights... and yep, better move that bag!

I'm with you on the idea of large rain fly over the hammock, that's one of the reasons I've shied away from them. I like the comfort of being enclosed, I guess. I'm not real fond of having my butt hanging down below the fly. lol.
I have cowboy camped in the deserts (Joshua Tree and the Sonoran) but flat on the ground. I wanted fall asleep seeing the Milky Way, unobstructed. That was sweet.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:03:05 PM by shaman »
                   EARTH FIRST
                  No Compromise   

~ TR

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 04:27:13 PM »

I spent all day Friday and Saturday down at the gorge. Absolutely beautiful. The first week of November seems to be the peak, as it is most years. Iíll try to get some pics loaded up and share them with you all. Probably be tomorrow morning before I get to it. If you have the chance get out there this week before all the leaves are gone!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy