Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2019, 01:40:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

January 02, 2019, 11:28:09 AM
tick warning. My kids picked up ticks WAYY out of season at BSF and Marrowbone, so check yourselves...

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Show 50 latest
22 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chimney Top Road  (Read 821 times)

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Chimney Top Road
« on: October 26, 2018, 07:00:02 AM »

Anyone been to Chimney Top Road recently?

At the beginning of the road a new sign has been posted “4 wheel drive recommended” and not far down the road it turns into a large mud hole.  Has anyone been farther down the road? Is it more of the same or better condition? 

Since Chimney Top is one of the top attractions, I was wondering why they haven’t closed the road for repair.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
Re: Chimney Top Road
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 07:17:57 AM »

Last weekend I asked someone in a muddy Jeep Cherokee where they were 4-wheeling, and they said Chimney Top road!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:47:47 PM by jacksan »
Gorgin' since '74

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »

I was out there this week on Thursday.  The remainder of the road is basically the same as it has been for a long time but the large water filled pothole (mud bog) is now about 3/4 the width of the road and Forest Service has the rest of it blocked off.  The mud bog appears to be a good 12"-15" deep but was easily navigated as evidenced by the several passenger cars at the Chimney lot I saw that had mud above the lower door sills and mud covered hoods and windshields.  At the mud bog, mud is splashed a good 10' up in the surrounding trees.  I drove through it at idle with the truck in 4 wheel high to keep the mess to a minimum and basically my truck is solid mud below about the frame.  I wouldn't take a nice car or small SUV through it unless it was a rental as the mud is very watery and possibly would enter your car which is why it says "high clearance vehicles recommended".  A Facebook post from the Forest Service says repairs will begin soon.  I bet here shortly, once the leaves are down and the leaf peepers are gone, they will close it for the Winter.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:15:12 PM »

Thanks.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »

Chimney Top Road, Red River Gorge - UPDATE
Date(s): Nov 8, 2018

This road is currently closed during weekdays for repair and maintenance. The road will reopen on weekends for public travel. Two-wheel drive vehicles should be able to maneuver the road when open, but high-clearance vehicles are best for traveling this road at this time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy