Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2012, 03:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
25 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chimney Top Road  (Read 295 times)

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Chimney Top Road
« on: October 26, 2018, 07:00:02 AM »

Anyone been to Chimney Top Road recently?

At the beginning of the road a new sign has been posted “4 wheel drive recommended” and not far down the road it turns into a large mud hole.  Has anyone been farther down the road? Is it more of the same or better condition? 

Since Chimney Top is one of the top attractions, I was wondering why they haven’t closed the road for repair.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
Re: Chimney Top Road
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 07:17:57 AM »

Last weekend I asked someone in a muddy Jeep Cherokee where they were 4-wheeling, and they said Chimney Top road!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:47:47 PM by jacksan »
Gorgin' since '74

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »

I was out there this week on Thursday.  The remainder of the road is basically the same as it has been for a long time but the large water filled pothole (mud bog) is now about 3/4 the width of the road and Forest Service has the rest of it blocked off.  The mud bog appears to be a good 12"-15" deep but was easily navigated as evidenced by the several passenger cars at the Chimney lot I saw that had mud above the lower door sills and mud covered hoods and windshields.  At the mud bog, mud is splashed a good 10' up in the surrounding trees.  I drove through it at idle with the truck in 4 wheel high to keep the mess to a minimum and basically my truck is solid mud below about the frame.  I wouldn't take a nice car or small SUV through it unless it was a rental as the mud is very watery and possibly would enter your car which is why it says "high clearance vehicles recommended".  A Facebook post from the Forest Service says repairs will begin soon.  I bet here shortly, once the leaves are down and the leaf peepers are gone, they will close it for the Winter.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:15:12 PM »

Thanks.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »

Chimney Top Road, Red River Gorge - UPDATE
Date(s): Nov 8, 2018

This road is currently closed during weekdays for repair and maintenance. The road will reopen on weekends for public travel. Two-wheel drive vehicles should be able to maneuver the road when open, but high-clearance vehicles are best for traveling this road at this time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy