Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2018, 01:58:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
50 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resarch on Hominy holes  (Read 249 times)

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
Resarch on Hominy holes
« on: August 27, 2018, 08:09:09 PM »

Larry Meadows, co-author of Rock Art of Kentucky, is doing research on hominy holes and other "processing features" in the area. If you know the location of any please conact him at theredrivermuseum@yahoo.com. Or you might catch him at the Red River Museum in Clay City (859-749-3171). Larry is a really great guy, and the museum is a treasure, and are worth the short trip.

Copper Creek has a picture of a Hominy Hole here: http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?topic=4407.msg37962#msg37962.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:25:55 PM by jacksan »
Gorgin' since '74

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
Re: Resarch on Hominy holes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »

Is he only interested in hominy holes in RRG?

We have quite a few of them on our farm.  I'd be pretty guarded about sharing those with him unless I was assured he'd keep their location secret, but it would be interesting to talk to someone who knows a lot about them.
erchomai kurios lesous...

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 11:13:44 PM »

Hominy holes (processing features) are the subject of their current research. He seems to be interested in all Kentucky pre- and early history.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, nowhere are locations given.
A quick google search turned up this on Larry G. Meadows:

Co-Author of "Rock Art of Kentucky"
Co-Author of "Archaeological investigation of the Deep Shelter Cave Run Reseroir area, Rowan County, Kentucky"
Co-author of several chapters of "The Millstone Quarries of Powell County, Kentucky"
Co-Author of "Saltpeter from Sandstone Cliffs in Easter Kentucky in 1806"
Co-author of other publications
Red River Museum, Museum Administrator
Red River Historical Society & Museum, Treasurer
His work is referenced in many other publications.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:29:28 AM by jacksan »
Gorgin' since '74

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 01:41:52 PM »

> You can trust Larry Meadows
> I have my doubts as to the designations. Several of the naming conventions in Rock Art of Kentucky, a resource I cite frequently, are quite wrongly named. There's a lot of guessing in these sort of things.

One example of such misnaming... I was just at Angel Meadows, Indiana, and as usual they have this hilarious story about "chunky stones" and show a bunch of half naked indians all over, and barebreasted women. Which doesn't hardly match photographic evidence of midwestern natives.
Chunky stones are actually whorls, and they are found worldwide. They're a tool for making thread.

The holes may have been used for grinding meal, but a lot of them have odd locations and I have my doubts as to that being the only or main use. I think it will depend on the entire group of evidences at each little hole.

Yes, you should protect them, though they are wonderful!!

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »

We have multiple sites with multiple hominy holes on our property which is a feeder stream of Rough River (though that's as close as I'll say where it is).

One of the sites has rock art in the shape of an arrowhead next to the hole... I've never seen anything like that anywhere else.
erchomai kurios lesous...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy