Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 26, 2020, 10:07:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

December 25, 2019, 06:11:55 AM
Ho Ho Ho Merry Chirstmas!!

Bazinga

November 28, 2019, 07:14:11 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!  Gobble till you wobble. LOL!

Bazinga

October 12, 2019, 07:24:47 AM
YAY!! Cooler Weather has Finally Arrived!!!  ;D

ShifuCareaga

January 02, 2019, 11:28:09 AM
tick warning. My kids picked up ticks WAYY out of season at BSF and Marrowbone, so check yourselves...

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Show 50 latest
17 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's left of Lock no. 4/Green River  (Read 1042 times)

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
What's left of Lock no. 4/Green River
« on: August 13, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »

I went by the site of Lock No. 4 in Brownsville, KY on Green River last Friday.  Its amazing what the river looks like after the 120 year old dam was removed last Oct.

Folks this is wonderful river access.  I hope people in Brownsville take care of it and realize what a benefit this could be to the community.  Now they have a safe place to put in boats, kayaks and canoes and an excellent take out for a run from Nolin Dam Tailwater.

erchomai kurios lesous...

Backcountry Strider

• Day Hiker
Re: What's left of Lock no. 4/Green River
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 08:21:09 AM »

That is great news; I've been wanting to do a trip down Nolin tailwaters without having to paddle upstream.  Any word on the clearing of the downed trees or how the water level has been affected?

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 09:38:46 AM »

Water level is down 10-12 feet and of course it'll be there permanently.  That's actually a great thing though it hasn't been this way in about 100 years.... the high water level actually set back the connection of Mammoth Cave with the Flint Ridge Cave system by about 30 or 40 years (you can read about that in the Longest Cave by Roger Brucker).... anyhoo....

I e-mailed the guy in charge of the Southern Kentucky Canoeing/Kayaking meetup group and he told me that the take down of the water caused hundreds of trees to fall in the river.  From the old Lock no. 4 site you really can't tell, but I got on Google Earth and sure enough you can actually see the strainers in the river on there.

He said that the corp was going to try and clean it up with chainsaws from a pontoon boat.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that, I'm sure its low priority.  If anyone has a jon boat it'd be a great service to go up Nolin river from Houchen's ferry and try to clean up some of that mess but my guess is that it'll be an enormous job.  We all might be better off letting the winter/spring rains do the job for us.  I can't imagine the strainers holding up to the natural cycle.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:40:49 AM »

FYI I called this Lock no. 4, this was actually Lock no. 6

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »

I just heard the paddle ban has been lifted on Nolin on the radio yesterday:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/kentucky/articles/2018-09-05/mammoth-cave-reopens-nolin-river-to-paddlers

Backcountry Strider

• Day Hiker
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:13:30 AM »

That's great!  I see their warning there and I wonder how much concern is warranted.  I'm sure the new flow data has an all new meaning on this trip so I am excited to see what has changed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy