Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 04:38:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

ShifuCareaga

February 22, 2018, 01:13:51 PM
intending to hit raven's run this Sunday, msg me if you want to go

Show 50 latest
36 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wet campsite with stars?  (Read 124 times)

Doogal513

• Day Hiker
Wet campsite with stars?
« on: May 15, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »

Hello everyone! Looking to find a new spot for an up coming trip. Was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share some beta on a nice secluded spot near a creek where we could catch some stars as well. Thanks! Happy trails!

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Re: Wet campsite with stars?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:34:39 PM »

The best stargazing is usually from the ridgetops, so you might think about just hauling in your water and camping at one of the many excellent ridgetop campsites in the RRG.

Aside from that, there are some decent campsites around the Gladie Creek/Salt Fork confluence but the forest doesn't really open up enough to get "great" stargazing unless you find an area where the creek has channeled some and created open space. But then most often the ground is wet or there are lots of rocks.

There is decent stargazing along the Rockcastle River down near London . . . you could do the excellent Van Hook Falls partial loop and camp along the Rockcastle one night.

Doogal513

• Day Hiker
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »

That's usually what we do, looking to switch it up. It would be nice to have a stream to cool off in at the end of the day. I've got a few idea's. We'll probably scout a few out spots.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:16:31 PM »

You might try along Swift Camp Creek on the Wilderness side of the creek. You would not see a lot of stars, but you could see the sky straight overhead.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 02:51:22 PM »

Its not in the Red but the best star gazing I ever had in KY was camping at Blue Head Overlook on top of Pine Mountain.  Freaking amazing see the moon, stars wrapping over head and then seeing Power Valley cloaked in clouds the next morning.... nothing like anything I've ever seen in my life.  8)
erchomai kurios lesous...

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 09:35:55 PM »

Just thought I'd mention a totally off the beaten path place to go stargazing: Van Booven WMA.  Very open. Grassy center. Elk calls. Open skies...

But it's no DBNF
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy