Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 04:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

ShifuCareaga

February 22, 2018, 01:13:51 PM
intending to hit raven's run this Sunday, msg me if you want to go

Show 50 latest
35 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RRG's Waterfalls  (Read 401 times)

onemansadventure

• Day Hiker
RRG's Waterfalls
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »

This past winter I spent a lot of time exploring the streams of the gorge.  As someone that loves waterfalls way more than arches, I have never been a huge fan of the gorge because of the crowds and the lack of waterfalls.  So I was quite surprised to find all of these while exploring this winter. (note, these are all on public property within the gorge proper)

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
Re: RRG's Waterfalls
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 01:28:32 PM »

FANTASTIC!! The gorge just gets better and better. Thanks for sharing your magnificent photos. Looks like Ive got some more exploring to do!  ;D

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 07:41:28 AM »

Really outstanding work. Thanks for sharing.
Gorgin' since '74

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »

I like waterfalls better than arches also :)

I found a waterfall a couple weeks ago off the Douglas Trail that I had never seen mentioned before, the water wasn't really flowing so I did not get a good photo.

You got some nice photos and I've got some more exploring to do. Any hints on finding some of these? Did you spend a lot of time looking at maps? Or did you just follow a lot of creeks and get lucky?

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 04:07:26 PM »

Amazing photos and wonderful inspiration. Thanks for sharing. I spent a lot of time walking up creeks and studying maps in the RRG and only recognize one of these falls.

onemansadventure

• Day Hiker
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »

You got some nice photos and I've got some more exploring to do. Any hints on finding some of these? Did you spend a lot of time looking at maps? Or did you just follow a lot of creeks and get lucky?

I used modern maps.  Essentially I created my own maps via the state's lidar data and found all but 3 that above that way.  2 of them someone showed me (#4 & #5).  #1 was just happened upon as it in between 2 of the others that were found via maps.  I also struck out and dragged friends through some rough stuff to only find really ugly waterfalls or waterfalls covered in massive home sized boulders.  Even with the maps, you have to still go find out what is there and what it looks like.  I got really lucky this past winter with my guesses, extremely so.

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 10:31:44 PM »

Lidar! :o and 5-foot DEM data!
What a huge step over the data that was available just a year ago.
Big thanks for the heads up.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:55:52 PM by jacksan »
Gorgin' since '74

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »

I used modern maps.  Essentially I created my own maps via the state's lidar data and found all but 3 that above that way.  2 of them someone showed me (#4 & #5).  #1 was just happened upon as it in between 2 of the others that were found via maps.  I also struck out and dragged friends through some rough stuff to only find really ugly waterfalls or waterfalls covered in massive home sized boulders.  Even with the maps, you have to still go find out what is there and what it looks like.  I got really lucky this past winter with my guesses, extremely so.

Sounds like I'm going to have to learn some new technology. When you look at the lidar version of the map, how obvious are the potential drops that could be waterfalls? I assume the larger falls (>20 feet) are pretty obvious.

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »

Beautiful photography! I love the waterfall photos.

Sounds like I'm going to have to learn some new technology. When you look at the lidar version of the map, how obvious are the potential drops that could be waterfalls? I assume the larger falls (>20 feet) are pretty obvious.

It's pretty obvious when you overlay LiDAR with a basic topo as you will see the smaller streams and creeks, then a noticeable drop on LiDAR where a waterfall exists. If you don't really see any elevational change then it's a pretty small waterfall. A good example is to look at Copperas on LiDAR, then you will quickly notice the numerous waterfalls that surround Copperas that no one ever visits or talks about.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 07:22:00 PM »

Beautiful photography! I love the waterfall photos.

It's pretty obvious when you overlay LiDAR with a basic topo as you will see the smaller streams and creeks, then a noticeable drop on LiDAR where a waterfall exists. If you don't really see any elevational change then it's a pretty small waterfall. A good example is to look at Copperas on LiDAR, then you will quickly notice the numerous waterfalls that surround Copperas that no one ever visits or talks about.

thanks for that info, definitely more exploring to do

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 07:42:56 PM »

So I googled around and found this site https://kgs.uky.edu/kgsmap/kgsgeoserver/viewer.asp down near the bottom of the options on the left-hand side is a check box for the LIDAR layer. There is also a check box for arches and natural bridges. It doesn't have every arch, for example Red Byrd, but it has a lot of them as well as coordinates and data on heights, span,... Another check box is for photos

happy hunting

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »

I knew the clifty would be full of plenty of falls, especially after a rain. When I did the upper Red I counted about a dozen just on the river.
I also love waterfalls way more than arches. I look forward to finding these later in the year. As always your shots are inspirational.  Creek walking with my boy will be a lot of fun, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy