Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2019, 11:24:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

October 12, 2019, 07:24:47 AM
YAY!! Cooler Weather has Finally Arrived!!!  ;D

ShifuCareaga

January 02, 2019, 11:28:09 AM
tick warning. My kids picked up ticks WAYY out of season at BSF and Marrowbone, so check yourselves...

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

Show 50 latest
29 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canoeing plus primitive camping Help!  (Read 1295 times)

mrbison

• Over Nighter
  • I love the Gorge!
Canoeing plus primitive camping Help!
« on: April 27, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »

First let me apologize as I'm using talk to text and this message is going to be full of grammatical errors LOL

So my girlfriend and I are trying to find somewhere we can canoe to a campsite or somewhere we can canoe until we find somewhere cool to camp are there any places like this within 2 hours of the Louisville area any help would be much appreciated
we belong to the earth, the earth does not belong to us

Backcountry Strider

• Day Hiker
Re: Canoeing plus primitive camping Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:40:15 PM »

Hey mrbison,

I am betting the Green River down in Mammoth Cave Park is your ticket.  You can canoe to multiple takeouts and camp on the islands through that stretch of the river.  Less than 2 hours from Louisville.  I would check the water levels before you go because I've heard it has varied quite a bit since they demo'ed the last dam.

FallenArches

• Day Hiker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »

Yep, Green River is probably your best bet. 

A little further drive could get you on the Big South Fork.  Be sure to portage Angel Falls if you do this one.  You may want to portage Devils Jump, also. 

A campground-to-campground trip can be made on the Rockcastle River from Bee Rock Campground to Rockcastle Campground, but I think both of those campgrounds are temporarily closed due to the Ash Borer beatle.   
We have fallen heirs to the most glorious heritage a people ever received, and each one must do his part if we wish to show that this nation is worthy of its good fortune.-Theodore Roosevelt, 7/4/1886

mrbison

• Over Nighter
  • I love the Gorge!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:35:54 PM »

Thanks y'all I think I like the Green River idea it sounds cool. Both of us currently unable to do a lot of hiking due to injuries me nursing a bad knee and my girlfriend broke her ankle hiking it's healed but still giving her a little bit of discomfort so we're trying to think of a way we could get out in the woods without further injuring ourselves
we belong to the earth, the earth does not belong to us

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »

Gotta get some braces (the correct one for your injury).  I never hike without a knee brace & used to have one for my ankle too.

And don't forget the physical therapy.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 11:33:11 AM »

I try to kayak on Lake Monroe at least once a year.  You can put in at the boat dock and have a nice 2 mile paddle to the tip of the well known Peninsula Trail, with a good long section of lake front property that is all Hoosier National Forrest legal camping. 

Be sure to use a bear bag, not for bears, but the raccoons are crazy smart around there.  If you bring in a cooler, some heavy rocks on top at night will do the trick.

Oh yeah, the fishing is really good in the spring.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 09:14:57 PM »

It is not primitive, but there are two boat-in campgrounds on Laurel River Lake. You can also camp other places around the lake shore, but you are supposed to be 300 feet from the shore, I don't think anyone pays attention to this rule from what I could tell.

I have posted a couple photos and some details here http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?topic=7406.0

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »

It is not primitive, but there are two boat-in campgrounds on Laurel River Lake. You can also camp other places around the lake shore, but you are supposed to be 300 feet from the shore, I don't think anyone pays attention to this rule from what I could tell.

I have posted a couple photos and some details here http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?topic=7406.0

Really???? I had no idea!  When you say you can camp on the lake shore, is that only is a small select area, or is pretty much the entire lake available to camp out wherever you end up (300 feet from shore of course)?   THIS is on my list for 2018.  The campground is awesome, the marina is awesome, to kayak on that lake and camp sounds like the perfect weekend.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »

All of Laurel River Lake is surrounded by the DBNF, no private land at all, so you can camp anywhere you find a spot. But, there are signs on the roads to the boat ramps that you have to camp 300 feet from the lake shore. During my one overnight on the lake last spring I found tons of obvious campsites right on the lakeshore. My guess is the forest service rarely puts a boat in the water so it is not likely you would ever get caught if you ignored the 300 foot rule.

The White Oak Boat in campground on the north side of the lake was nice. It is probably a zoo on nice summer weekends, but having stayed at the Holly Bay campground a couple times, the whole lake empties out when the weekend is over.

Also, some of the boat ramps are free and others you need a hang tag like the gorge.

Let me know I can answer any questions

lots of info here https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dbnf/recarea/?recid=64851

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 02:33:08 PM »

I second Green River.

There aren't many places you can canoe for 30 miles and not houses and other stuff.  Just make sure you catch the right CFS... anything above 600-800 should be fine.

With the Brownsville dam being knocked out that makes more day trip opportunities open up in the area too... can't wait to canoe from Nolin Dam to Brownsville's Otter Creek boat ramp... though probably going to have to wait because I heard its wrecked the river with all the deadfalls from dropping the water level 14 feet.
erchomai kurios lesous...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy