Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 04:49:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

ShifuCareaga

February 22, 2018, 01:13:51 PM
intending to hit raven's run this Sunday, msg me if you want to go

Show 50 latest
27 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SR 157 passed  (Read 421 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
SR 157 passed
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/18RS/SR157/bill.pdf

And my boys and I were there - on the Senate floor - when it was passed. It was an honor. Sadly Oscar Geralds was not able to be present due to health, but his daughters were there. Senator (Governor) Julian Carroll spoke for about 10 minutes. All "ayes" no "nays." (of course)

Great learning opportunity for my boys. ALSO I briefly met with Sen. Reggie Thompson and he seems receptive to talk about more conservation stuff related to these topics.
Everyone seemed to be on good terms with the ideals we hold dear. The Sierra Club mentioned they want to review the trailhead information, and I mentioned that this ragtag group knows more dangedest things about the RRG than anyone, including every windchime and rockface name :)

So they will probably scope out on here, and hopefully they reach out to some of you.

Will try to post a picture or two when I am on tonight.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
Re: SR 157 passed
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »

Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.  :)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:46:30 PM »

This is great, thanks for sharing that Legislative Coverage. Great to see the celebration of this historic event that ultimately led to halting construction of the dam.

Update:

Wanted to share an excerpt from Tales of the Red River Gorge by Don Fig, 2007:

THE LONGEST WALK
On Saturday, November 18, 1967, a large crowd had gathered at the Wolfe/Memfee County line concrete bridge awaiting the arrival of US. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas. The Justice had agreed to lead a hike up Red River to Clifty Creek (about 1 miles) to protest the proposed impoundment on the river. The restless group (about 600-800 strong) milled about peacefully.

Finally, about 1330 hours the Justice arrived along with his wife, addressed the group, and commenced to lead the hike upriver. The Kentucky Chapter of the Sierra Club promoted this bike. At one point, the Sierra Club counted 524 hikers along the trail. The protest was a partial success, but in a way, it may only have intensified the threat from man. It brought a colossal increase in visitation to the area, reaching a peak in 1972 of over one million visitors quintupling the visitation prior to 1967.

It has been 34 years since Justice Douglas made his famous walk up the Red River in protest of the proposed dam. The intervening years have wrought many changes since that long ago November day and the walk has continued in phantom footsteps these many years, readily apparent in defacement and destruction of various cultural resources. The petroglyph at Trinity was destroyed a few years ago by building a campfire squarely on top of it. This was perhaps the most significant rock art in the Red River Gorge. Forever silent now, with no Prospect of deciphering the message. Increased littering, soil compaction, destruction of resources may be cited as typical of the problems associated with the present visitor overload.

For a time the area was called the site of the Justice Douglas hike, later abbreviated to Douglas Trail, an unofficial name that endures to this day.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:47:19 PM by thedayhascome »
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

Captain Blue

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:20:03 PM »

Interesting. Did anyone point out during the hearing that the Kentucky State Legislature was completely for this dam once upon a time and actually approved the construction of the dam?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy