Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2012, 03:09:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
23 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thieving at Red River Gorge  (Read 555 times)

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Thieving at Red River Gorge
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:12:40 PM »

So Eff-ing pissed.  Parked at the end of Chimney top road for a day hike this morning, when we returned thieves had popped open the topper and stole our clothing bags!!!  Luckily they didn't get anything valuable (always take camera equipment, wallets, ect...in the backpack).  But they ruined our plans for an overnighter.   >:(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:50:01 AM by Bazinga »
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Re: Thieving at Red River Gorge
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 08:21:40 AM »

it may be nothing, but we heard a car alarm going off at sunset from up at castle arch yesterday. I was severely worried for my stuff.

I promise you if I see thieves whenever I'm there, you'll hear about it on the news.

disgusting.

kymyers

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »

Never really heard of that happening during a day hike!  Wish they would patrol a little better.  Sorry you were the victim.

sweeper

• Over Nighter
  • This arch? It's in Ohio.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:14:51 PM »

On a Saturday at a popular trailhead? That's pretty brazen. Sorry for your loss.

Did you report it to the rangers? They need to be aware.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:49:14 AM »

Did you report it to the rangers? They need to be aware.

I didn't at the time, but I'll inform them later today.

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 08:16:09 AM »

Nothing new; been there done that.  If you search through the posts here you will find that I have been broken into twice.  It has been years since my last break in, but the last was at the Koomer Ridge parking lot.  I had been in Winchester on business and decided to drop down to the Gorge for an overnighter.  Returned the next morning to find $5000 damage to my car and all my stuff inside stolen.
I think the final total was around $7000.  Had to have the car towed to Lexington for repairs before it could be driven.
I have been hiking in the Gorge since the mid sixties and the breakin problem has existed and thrived since then; it never stops. It happens day and night, on main roads, in campgrounds, side roads, even in the back country.
I am sorry that this happened to you, but it isn't new and there is nothing the hikers can do to prevent it.   At one time I really considered parking my car at the Lodge and riding a bike to whatever trailhead I was going to.  I don't think there is as much breaking in at the Lodge parking area as at the remote areas. Chances of catching the thieves is very slim.  They are watching you and they know they have plenty of time once you park your car. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:17:49 AM by genes »
Peace

Gene

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 11:07:24 AM »

genes: that really really sucks. I hope insurance covered almost all of it

I am considering inventing the robocop alarm system. It's actually pretty easy to make one  >:D

Boy wouldn't that be awkward to come back from a hike and find someone stunned sitting in your carseat.   :laugh:

Until then, we just have to wait til someone catches them in the act. It'll happen. One day, it'll happen. I promise you this, if I'm ever on a day drive and I see someone suspicious, I will stop and observe. At some point we'll find the culprits and bring them to justice. Of course if anyone sees anything I advocate reporting license numbers and descriptions. Without training, don't confront. If for no other reason than if they are stealing from a car you don't know if they might have stolen a gun or knife or have it on them already.

With my luck, though, I never run into these things as they are happening....

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 07:12:33 PM »

What really irks me is they probably threw it all away (more litter in the gorge).   :(

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »

When I get a chance, I will post my story again as it is quite amusing.  Just got back from a week of skiing at Jackson Hole and have lots of catching up to do. 

It hurts me when I hear of others in this forum getting hit by the thieves. It really is a way of life for many in that area.  They are professional, and at times organized.  It does hurt the image and tourism in that area and as a result, the local law enforcement agencies are extremely reluctant to even discuss it. 
Peace

Gene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy