Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 02:36:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
37 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So what the heck...  (Read 402 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
So what the heck...
« on: February 14, 2018, 01:58:55 PM »

Is near the Chaplin River?  :o What is it like, is this a kayaking river... is it scenic? Why haven't I even heard of this river...

There's so much to learn about our state, it's insane.

FallenArches

• Day Hiker
Re: So what the heck...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »

Perryville Battlefield is nearby.  The river runs through Perryville.   

The covered bridge over the Beech Fork is not over the Chaplin River, but it is not far from the confluence of the Beech and Chaplin Rivers. 

Tatham Springs, an old resort built in the 1890's, was on the Chaplin until 2006, when arsonists burned it down.  It was a huge hotel with swimming pool and skating rink, situated in the middle of nowhere on a dammed up portion of the Chaplin River.  Folks took the train from Louisville to stay there, the water supposedly had medicinal purposes.  Later, the Bingham Family purchased the property and turned it into a 4H camp from the 1940's to 1960's.  I toured the building several times before it burned.  It was remarkable in size, especially given the construction date and it's location. 

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/history/river-city-retro/2015/07/10/bingham-camp-revived-tatham-springs-resort/29980039/

The river could possibly be paddled up to late spring, water level would likely be too low as June approaches.  Finding good put-in and take-out spots would also be difficult, as most of the river flows through private property.   
We have fallen heirs to the most glorious heritage a people ever received, and each one must do his part if we wish to show that this nation is worthy of its good fortune.-Theodore Roosevelt, 7/4/1886

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 05:22:31 PM »

Perryville Battlefield is nearby.  The river runs through Perryville.   

The covered bridge over the Beech Fork is not over the Chaplin River, but it is not far from the confluence of the Beech and Chaplin Rivers. 

Tatham Springs, an old resort built in the 1890's, was on the Chaplin until 2006, when arsonists burned it down.  It was a huge hotel with swimming pool and skating rink, situated in the middle of nowhere on a dammed up portion of the Chaplin River.  Folks took the train from Louisville to stay there, the water supposedly had medicinal purposes.  Later, the Bingham Family purchased the property and turned it into a 4H camp from the 1940's to 1960's.  I toured the building several times before it burned.  It was remarkable in size, especially given the construction date and it's location. 

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/history/river-city-retro/2015/07/10/bingham-camp-revived-tatham-springs-resort/29980039/

The river could possibly be paddled up to late spring, water level would likely be too low as June approaches.  Finding good put-in and take-out spots would also be difficult, as most of the river flows through private property.   

thanks for that history info I did not know. I will go scope the site and see if there is anything worthy of visiting for people in the area.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »

Is this the river that is dammed up for a bit right in the middle of town before you cross the bridge to the square?
erchomai kurios lesous...

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 08:28:05 PM »

Is this the river that is dammed up for a bit right in the middle of town before you cross the bridge to the square?
yeah
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy