Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2018, 08:21:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

February 22, 2018, 01:13:51 PM
intending to hit raven's run this Sunday, msg me if you want to go

Bazinga

February 10, 2018, 07:00:39 AM
Rain, rain go away. Come again on a weekday!! :'(

thedayhascome

December 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AM
Just returned from the Red. Enjoyed beautiful sunrises and the super moon, it was an awesome time!

Bazinga

November 23, 2017, 07:22:04 AM
Turkey & wine today, Hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Life is GOOD!!!

ShifuCareaga

October 31, 2017, 10:08:51 AM
That's my surmise as well. I've seen also, about 4 or 5 all black wooly worms. That... is weird.

Show 50 latest
18 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog Slaughter Falls - Shorter Hike  (Read 147 times)

mattie

• Day Hiker
Dog Slaughter Falls - Shorter Hike
« on: January 25, 2018, 02:37:24 PM »

I'm planning to go to Dog Slaughter Falls in the coming days.  I'll be coming from Lexington, and my time will be a little limited, so I'm interested in taking the shorter hike.  I've read in a bunch of different places about various ways to get there and I've even seen some more detailed descriptions, but I still don't have a clear picture of how to get to the trailhead for the shorter hike (I've heard 1 - 1.5 miles).

Can anyone do their best to give me good directions to the trailhead for DSF for the shorter hike (~1 mile)?

Also, is it reasonable to hit DSF and Eagle Falls in the same day if I don't tarry?  I know some would say that it's better to take your time, treat them separate, but I don't get tons of opportunities and both of these falls are ones that have been on my wishlist for years!

Thanks,

mattie

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Dog Slaughter Falls - Shorter Hike
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:46:38 PM »

Now you're talking!  I love both of those falls.  I am going to completely ignore your original question and strongly encourage you to make a longer day of this hike.  It is one of the best around in my opinion.  If you start at the Cumberland Falls and hike the "long" hike to Dog Slaughter, you will catch a pretty good view of Eagle Falls along the way.  If you take this hike soon, with the recent rain and coming rain, you'll no doubt pass 6-8 smaller wet season waterfalls/cascades along this hike.  It is well worth an entire day.

If I'm not mistaken, the entire hike is only 8 miles.  I will share with you one tricky spot where the trail appears to end on a "beach".  You're natural inclination is to follow the beach between 2 big rocks looking for the trail to pick up.  In reality, the trail exits uphill about 1/2 way along the beach walk, before the 2 big rocks. 

Do the long hike.  You'll thank me.  And when you are done, find another 2 hours and go play underneath Eagle Falls.  ;D

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 10:05:45 PM »

I'm planning to go to Dog Slaughter Falls in the coming days.  I'll be coming from Lexington, and my time will be a little limited, so I'm interested in taking the shorter hike.  I've read in a bunch of different places about various ways to get there and I've even seen some more detailed descriptions, but I still don't have a clear picture of how to get to the trailhead for the shorter hike (I've heard 1 - 1.5 miles).

Can anyone do their best to give me good directions to the trailhead for DSF for the shorter hike (~1 mile)?

Also, is it reasonable to hit DSF and Eagle Falls in the same day if I don't tarry?  I know some would say that it's better to take your time, treat them separate, but I don't get tons of opportunities and both of these falls are ones that have been on my wishlist for years!

Thanks,

mattie

The shorter hike starts from a dirt road with no marker (just trash and parked cars). It's on my map. It's a very flat hike, sometimes dense but very easy overall. From there you could hook it to the park HQ and to whatever else. I don't see why you want to do both the same day. DSF or as I like to call it Dog's Laughter Falls, is easily worth hours to stay at. It's also a cold falls, and full of life. It's quite worth more time to stay. Eagle Falls is pretty nice, too, but popular.

If you want to do two waterfalls same day, one for swimming, Flat Lick and McCammon are next to each other, relatively speaking.  Just a thought if you hadn't been to either. (Or anyone else reading).

Best of luck to you, msg me if you still can't locate it.

mattie

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:28:42 PM »

Wanting to do both because I'm dying to see both and have a limited time, but I hit Eagle Falls on Friday (was there by myself), so I guess I'll be doing Dog Slaughter Falls solo.  Trust me, I'd love to spend a full day at every place I visit, but my schedule doesn't allow.

Thanks for the suggestion on Flat Lick and McCammon.  I'm hitting Flat Lick next week, so I'll add this on!

When you say "your map", do you mean the map you have that obtained elsewhere, or the map you created?  If you've map your own map, I'd be interested in seeing it.

::mattie

mattie

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 07:57:30 PM »

Nevermind.  I figured it out.

::mattie

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up