Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 08:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
22 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold Day for a Hike  (Read 503 times)

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
Cold Day for a Hike
« on: January 08, 2018, 04:37:04 PM »

I am not one to make a trip report, and I don't intend this be as detailed as some have made. But I do feel compelled to share a few photos from a fantastically cold day hiking in the Gorge. The thermometer on the way down in the morning read a balmy -2F. It was cold enough that my hydration bladder froze solid within 15 minutes of setting out for our first destination. Luckily I had a thermos of hot coffee to keep me going until I reached a spot where I could stop and bask in the warm sun. If you ever suffer a frozen bladder tube, stuff it inside your jacket for a while.

I digress, we are here for the photos...

icy river

approaching a frozen waterfall

looking back

looking up

frosty details

brilliant light

just around the bend

ice crystals in the sky

perspective

first glimpse

ice blues

the masses

Overall a great day. Can't wait for another historic cold snap to get back out there.

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
Re: Cold Day for a Hike
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »

Way to get out there and make the best of this lousy weather!  Looks like a great day was had!!

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:35:29 PM »

Cold but beautiful pics.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:22:17 PM »

Beautiful frozen photos of the Red. Looks like an awesome trip, thanks for sharing. I like that you were able to see the frozen waterfall from below, then also got above for another shot.

Copperas was certainly well traveled this past weekend. At least you weren't lonely... :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:44:54 PM by thedayhascome »
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »

I had thought about heading out the Douglas Trail to check out that waterfall, thanks for the photos, looks like an awesome day, except for the crowds :)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »

Nice photos!

Just thought I'd mention that coffee's nature is cold and it drains the kidneys. On such days, when exerting the Will, you might consider tea or bone broth.  Caffeine blocks our sense of fatigue and although a stimulant is not Qi (vital energy). Instead it promotes downward drainage.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 02:12:43 PM »

Nice photos!

Just thought I'd mention that coffee's nature is cold and it drains the kidneys. On such days, when exerting the Will, you might consider tea or bone broth.  Caffeine blocks our sense of fatigue and although a stimulant is not Qi (vital energy). Instead it promotes downward drainage.

Thanks, I will take that into consideration in the future. I was just glad to have something not frozen and warm! It's starting to thaw outside now, anybody make it out with the recent snow on the ground?

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 02:34:34 PM »

Nice photos!

Thanks, I will take that into consideration in the future. I was just glad to have something not frozen and warm! It's starting to thaw outside now, anybody make it out with the recent snow on the ground?

Yes but I had my kids so not "out" so much as a pretty drive. I found a new trail I plan to go hike called the Cecil L Gorley Naturalist Trail - it's on the map now.  Anyhow I got this video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t1PB4kAqZLh7vXRvEDySFXm6Ha8LGW2t

africanscatman

• Site Seer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 07:24:25 PM »

Was able to get out and do an overnighter at the beginning of this month. got down to 0F! definitely a good night to test out my new quilt. Not a single other person out either. Got the whole ridge of Hanson's Point to myself.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 10:09:57 PM »

Was able to get out and do an overnighter at the beginning of this month. got down to 0F! definitely a good night to test out my new quilt. Not a single other person out either. Got the whole ridge of Hanson's Point to myself.

it's no wonder, lol.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »

Got the whole ridge of Hanson's Point to myself.

That's quite a treat and must have been a very cool experience (no pun intended) in those conditions.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 09:11:13 AM »

I can hike in those conditions but it's next level to sleep out there! I'm assuming you were hammock-camping?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy