Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 12:13:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

ShifuCareaga

February 22, 2018, 01:13:51 PM
intending to hit raven's run this Sunday, msg me if you want to go

Show 50 latest
28 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frozen Falls Question  (Read 451 times)

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
Frozen Falls Question
« on: December 27, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »

So the balmy temps outside have me day-dreaming about my favorite waterfalls frozen over. Any of you able to tell me how long of a deep freeze we need before we get full ice columns on some of the usual suspects? It looks like we are on the front end of a two week period of below freezing temps so Iím hopeful to get down to the gorge January 6 to see a few.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Re: Frozen Falls Question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »

it only takes a few nights to generate them; sustaining them through the day is easy once the temps hover just below freezing.
When I start seeing the ice in large chunks on the limestone on sides of highways then I know the falls are also frozen. I don't have a more scientific answer than that.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:19:23 PM »

it only takes a few nights to generate them; sustaining them through the day is easy once the temps hover just below freezing.
When I start seeing the ice in large chunks on the limestone on sides of highways then I know the falls are also frozen. I don't have a more scientific answer than that.

Your answer was better than my first thoughtÖThe longer itís cold, the larger the ice.  LOL!! 

Donít forget the low lands and box ends often stay colder than Slade, Koomer or Jackson (where the weather stations are located).
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

kymyers

• Over Nighter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »

Was thinking about trying Copperas Creek out on New Year's Day.  Should be getting pretty close.  Are there other falls up the side creeks off Copperas?

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »

Was thinking about trying Copperas Creek out on New Year's Day.  Should be getting pretty close.  Are there other falls up the side creeks off Copperas?

If you go out today let us know how the falls look. Iím also curious to know if the gorge has picked up any of the light snows.

kymyers

• Over Nighter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 07:24:19 PM »

Made it out this afternoon.  The "ice volcano" is 8 - 10 feet high and rising.  Thinking it will be  a full column by the week-end.  Hopewell and Sandy arches both have considerable ice flow as well.  This cold spell is making the gorge beautiful with ice.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:37:26 PM »

I hiked to Copperas yesterday (Wed) there was a 5 foot gap between the top of the "volcano" and the bottom of the hanging icicle.

It was a beautiful day, I ran into a father and son (?) at the falls and then passed a couple guys hiking in as I was hiking out. Lots of people looking for frozen waterfalls in the middle of the week. I'll post a couple photos when I have a chance.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:13:27 PM »

Thanks for the update! I donít know why I am still surprised at this point by the traffic even in less than ideal conditions. Iím heading down this weekend, I wonder how many Iíll see out on the trails.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »

I unfortunately missed all that weekend due to recovering from bronchitis. :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy