Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:05:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

thedayhascome

December 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AM
Just returned from the Red. Enjoyed beautiful sunrises and the super moon, it was an awesome time!

Bazinga

November 23, 2017, 07:22:04 AM
Turkey & wine today, Hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Life is GOOD!!!

ShifuCareaga

October 31, 2017, 10:08:51 AM
That's my surmise as well. I've seen also, about 4 or 5 all black wooly worms. That... is weird.

Arthur

October 25, 2017, 02:22:14 PM
There is a little color here, probably be about as good as its gonna get this weekend, but I just don't think its going to be a good year for it

KYhiker40

October 24, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
How are the leaves looking about now? I'm headed to RRG this Friday.

Show 50 latest
28 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip Report.  (Read 99 times)

Pak-Man

• Day Hiker
Trip Report.
« on: November 30, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »

More like Failed Trip Report...

So last weekend the wife and I set out for a short two day trip.. We originally were going to start near Angel windows at the Rough Trail Trailhead, hike out and up Sheltowee to Indian Staircase.. I am glad and angry we switched.. I now know how long the trail is from the bridge up and around to Bison Way Trailhead. Had no idea.. But we changed plans and started at BWTH and hiked up and to Sheltowee and then south... We had never really explored the north part of the park and were surprised by the abundance of oak.. and their leaves.. LOL.. fell multiple times.

It took us a long time to get to the road and I fell RIGHT before the crossing.. having a tore up knee we made a decision to hike south to the confluence of Sheltowee, Koomer, and Rough.. We never made it... We hiked the majority and was surprised by the lack of places to make camp.. the few we saw had no camping signs.. and the others were too close to the road.

We made it most of the way and hit a creek crossing that was actually hard, and no way we could make it without getting wet.. With the lack of sunlight, cold, falling, busted knee and all we decided to head back to the car.. I was worried and limping when we got there so it was back out and back home.. Should have just went to Koomer and camped.. probably would have been ok.. Oh well.. Here are a couple picks.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:04:52 AM by Pak-Man »

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Trip Report.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »

We've all had those trips that didn't go as planned!  My wife and I on our first overnight hike had a total disaster.  She stepped in a hole full of leaves, badly twisted her ankle about 7 miles from the car.  My air mattress punctured, then the temperatures (predicted at high 40's) dropped into the teens overnight and I had nothing to sleep on and no idea what to do about it.  We pitched the vestibule on sideways in the dark and had a heck of a time just getting in and out of the tent.  I couldn't start a fire.  I didn't know how to use the Jet Boil.  We couldn't find our designated camp spot.  It was a mess.

But we had fun!

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:02:03 AM »

Glad to know I'm not the only one that falls feet from the road.  :o

A bad day hiking is better than a good day working!!!

btw, I can't see pics anymore.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »

Sometimes I think if a trip goes according to plan I'm doing it wrong!  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy