Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 10:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

thedayhascome

December 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AM
Just returned from the Red. Enjoyed beautiful sunrises and the super moon, it was an awesome time!

Bazinga

November 23, 2017, 07:22:04 AM
Turkey & wine today, Hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Life is GOOD!!!

ShifuCareaga

October 31, 2017, 10:08:51 AM
That's my surmise as well. I've seen also, about 4 or 5 all black wooly worms. That... is weird.

Arthur

October 25, 2017, 02:22:14 PM
There is a little color here, probably be about as good as its gonna get this weekend, but I just don't think its going to be a good year for it

KYhiker40

October 24, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
How are the leaves looking about now? I'm headed to RRG this Friday.

Show 50 latest
24 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importance of on the ground research  (Read 57 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Importance of on the ground research
« on: November 24, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »

Well here we are, rapidly approaching year 5 of the project. Started in 2014. And still finding a new falls, that is worthy of mention. On the way to photograph Glen Eden Falls, which was DEFINITELY worth a visit. The new one is on the Blankey Branch, it is a 2 tier falls, and I thought it was gorgeous. It had an upper falls pool, but it isn't immediately clear how to descend into the terrace to use it, will have to ask a local. But this is why I go out on these sojourns all across the state.

BTW the Beattyville Tourism Center and Museum is FREE and has a lot of local WWII history. Down the road is also a Veteran's Memorial wall, again not something I was aware of until I talked to the museum "curator".

I'm sorry I haven't posted this year's trip report about Western KY, but I've been way too busy to post about 40+ locales, and since then I've documented more.

You may be happy to hear KY has edged into "Silver" (86+%) in the tourism data; despite many, many low scoring locations of late.

In lieu of a trip report, I have more research that's been done. I met the author of this text,
https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Encyclopedia-Native-American-Earthworks/dp/0940829584/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511069644&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=illustrated+encyclopedia+mounds+and+earth+works+greg+little

The presentation he gave really reminds me of why I have done this research.

This winter I'll be out doing arches, mounds, and hollers, looking for native sites, etc...

If you're curious, there's still 250+ locales left to visit for the book project, so I am unsure I can finish in 2018 or not. I'm trying, but KY keeps producing more and more and more.

My assistant is working part time on many things, but this spring we will begin applying scores and pics to the main map, in hopes of helping people make informed decisions about locations to visit.

But on the ground research is so vital. 

Also, I've noticed an uptick in trash at sites, so please help me to clean up the state!!

BTW I haven't posted the pics from the worst grafiti in the state, because believe me, most of you would be too upset.   It really reminded me of why I'm doing this project.

Take care, and hike safely!
Ramon

ps - saw a new trailcam of a mountain lion that was as muscular as a jaguar. So, also be aware of children, especially in Eastern KY!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy