Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

thedayhascome

December 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AM
Just returned from the Red. Enjoyed beautiful sunrises and the super moon, it was an awesome time!

Bazinga

November 23, 2017, 07:22:04 AM
Turkey & wine today, Hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Life is GOOD!!!

ShifuCareaga

October 31, 2017, 10:08:51 AM
That's my surmise as well. I've seen also, about 4 or 5 all black wooly worms. That... is weird.

Arthur

October 25, 2017, 02:22:14 PM
There is a little color here, probably be about as good as its gonna get this weekend, but I just don't think its going to be a good year for it

KYhiker40

October 24, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
How are the leaves looking about now? I'm headed to RRG this Friday.

Show 50 latest
27 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturday night storm at the Gorge!  (Read 112 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Saturday night storm at the Gorge!
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:17:12 AM »

Who else was at the Gorge for that storm last night?!!!  Wow, that was a lot of rain and some crazy winds. 

Some people would be reasonable and go home on Saturday evening, but noooo, not me.  I had a change to test a new tarp configuration and my making a fire with wet wood skills.  8)

Great time.  And oh yeah, if you have yet to check out that bar named Sky Bridge Station, you're missing out on an incredible beer selection.  Just saying.

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
Re: Saturday night storm at the Gorge!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »

If you are out in the open in backcountry, bad weather can be a bit scary.  I have backpacked in many thunderstorms but only once during a tornado and that was at the Big South Fork in Tennessee. Fortunately, I found a small rock shelter to wait out the tornado as it passed nearby and hit the Knoxville area; that was in 1997.
I wasn't at the Gorge this weekend but at the UofL vs Syracuse game.  The attached photo shows what Papa John's stadium looked like with 10 minutes left before halftime. This was a very strange picture.
Peace

Gene

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »

Who else was at the Gorge for that storm last night?!!!  Wow, that was a lot of rain and some crazy winds. 

Some people would be reasonable and go home on Saturday evening, but noooo, not me.  I had a change to test a new tarp configuration and my making a fire with wet wood skills.  8)

Great time.  And oh yeah, if you have yet to check out that bar named Sky Bridge Station, you're missing out on an incredible beer selection.  Just saying.

Pictures or it didn't happen.  :P

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »

Well, I only took 1 picture for a Facebook post.  My tarp setup... calm before the storm.  I really like this 8x10 silnylon over a ridgeline A-frame style.  I pitched the rear in a tight slope expecting strong winds, and closed the front "doors" to eliminate any rain coming in. 

Looking at the picture as is, the flap on the right side is pinned back to allow easy access, but at night I drop it down an have a fully enclosed shelter.  This setup is slowly getting me out of my hammock and back on the ground.  Crazy lightweight and gives me a lot of flexibility.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy