Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 02:36:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
37 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Kentucky Features & Destinations  (Read 1263 times)

AmblingAmos

• Day Hiker
Re: Central Kentucky Features & Destinations
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 10:50:07 PM »

I knew I recognized this waterfall, so I had to going digging around in my own pictures.  In April of '15 there was a nice log washed in to take a break and enjoy the waterfall.  My daughter is sketching it in this picture.

Beautiful pictures and perfect color grade Onemansadventure! 
"It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight"  I'm Alive - Kenny Chesney/Dave Matthews

onemansadventure

• Day Hiker
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 03:02:27 PM »

I knew I recognized this waterfall, so I had to going digging around in my own pictures.  In April of '15 there was a nice log washed in to take a break and enjoy the waterfall.  My daughter is sketching it in this picture.

Beautiful pictures and perfect color grade Onemansadventure!

Thanks!  I believe my picture is from my trip there after Hurricane Harvey ran through the area.  Need lots of water.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 10:58:39 PM »

My humble little thread about Central Ky is all grown up. So many good posts lately! Thanks to Mark W and all the rest for the shared knowledge. I've got to get out there soon and explore some of these places!

IMO it's because this area of the state, like the KY River Palisades, is super under-rated.

I got some funny KRP pics today. More things just keep popping up. It's really mind blowing.  Central KY is the same way.  MY trip down to Barren River Lake a few weekends ago scored more A++ in a single shot than I think I've ever seen.  It really is an underappreciated area.  I'm still using photos from down there for Facebook, etc.. and I wrote an article for this month's AKHA newsletter using pics from that trip. I had as good a time there as I did in St. Louis.

Not to mention Central KY holds one of my favorite things: the Knobs. I really just love the knobs. The drive through Bradfordsville is a yearly thing for me. I have gone in different seasons to get different effects. It's so unique.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »

Not to mention Central KY holds one of my favorite things: the Knobs. I really just love the knobs. The drive through Bradfordsville is a yearly thing for me. I have gone in different seasons to get different effects. It's so unique.

Me too! I frequently day-dream about a long trail like the Sheltowee running across Central Kentucky through the knobs. How awesome would it be to start around Bernheim and be able to travel by foot to the Daniel Boone NF? I've seen master plans of similar trail networks across the state, but I'm doubtful I'll get to see it come to fruition in my lifetime. I read an article last week about access-issues with ranchers in Montana denying legal access to federal lands and I fear any attempt to build a long trail using easements would result in the same access-issues here. https://www.outsideonline.com/2263356/crazy-mountains

But I'll still dare to day-dream.

This is an example of what I have in mind. The orange is a Knobs Trail from Bernheim to near Mount Vernon. The green is a connector trail to Mammoth Cave.

Here's also a link to a news story about the master plan I referred to earlier:

http://www.kyforward.com/creating-a-long-distance-trail-in-kentucky-a-step-closer-to-reality-with-master-trail-plan/

http://ruraltransportation.org/cross-kentucky-master-trail-plan/

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:58:46 PM by RCKT_RCCN »

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »

I attempted to re-link the pictures from my previous post. Hopefully you guys can see them this time around. Holler if you're still having issues.

onemansadventure

• Day Hiker
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »

I put this together a couple months ago, using available data (next to none) to pinpoint the location of the old Jenny Wiley Trail and throw it on the lidar data.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »

are you offering a download?

It's very nice, indeed. It must have taken awhile to put together the right information... I'd be down to purchase a copy even.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 09:40:24 PM »

I put this together a couple months ago, using available data (next to none) to pinpoint the location of the old Jenny Wiley Trail and throw it on the lidar data.

Nice work! Looks really good. A lot better than doodling on google earth.  :P

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2018, 05:34:38 PM »

A while back I stumbled upon a picture of a place called Lost Keys Cave in Green County. Anybody ever heard of it? Iíve been meaning to ask but keep forgetting. If I get some time Iíll try to find the picture again.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2018, 01:26:24 PM »

A while back I stumbled upon a picture of a place called Lost Keys Cave in Green County. Anybody ever heard of it? Iíve been meaning to ask but keep forgetting. If I get some time Iíll try to find the picture again.

I assume you mean this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/chucksutherland/25821052052
no but I want to go to there!

onemansadventure

• Day Hiker
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »

I assume you mean this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/chucksutherland/25821052052
no but I want to go to there!

Haha, if that is it, then I was with Chuck when he took that photo.  It is roadside, yet fairly ugly if I am remembering correctly.  I'll go look at my pictures and report back. 

onemansadventure

• Day Hiker
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »

Just an unedited quick pic I took back then.  This of the falls out of the cave.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »

Ha! Yes thatís the one. And yes, Chuckís picture made it look super desirable. Amazing what good angles and photo editing can do for a place lol
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy