Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2012, 10:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
24 Guests, 1 User

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Kentucky Features & Destinations  (Read 1872 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Re: Central Kentucky Features & Destinations
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 08:17:20 PM »

YES!! So glad Cliftyman is back for this wonderful contribution. :)
me, too

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »

RCCT, do you know about Dry Fork Gorge, and about Clay Hill Memorial Forest?

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 09:09:04 PM »

I know nothing of this Dry Fork Gorge, but anything with gorge in the name has my attention!

Iíve been to Clay Hill Memorial albeit only briefly.

onemansadventure

• Day Hiker
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »

I haven't personally been to Dry Fork Gorge but been on my list for a while now.  Talked to someone who has been there and pictures show it as a worthy place to check out.

One of your pictures appears to be First Creek Rockshelter, so I assume you know the wonders there.  Blue Springs Hollow next to that is incredible as well if you haven't been.  Loaded with arches and waterfalls after big rains.  Bylew Hollow is really nice, that Cliftyman mentioned.  I've never been to the large rockshelter in Bylew Hollow but an old-time caver from Western Kentucky told me it the largest in the state that he knew of.  Or the largest in Western Kentucky at least.  There some arches (span type) and several waterfalls in that valley.  Just a nice area to hike and walk through the woods.   Mammoth Cave above ground is one of the most spectacular places in the state.  The sandstone formations are just special there.  I am guessing Mark hasn't been to too many of them, cause they are worth going out of your way to see.  The park has over 50 documented arches within its boundary.  My current most favorite place in the state that I have witnessed is in the park, above ground.  Arches, waterfalls, hominy holes, petroglyphs, etc.  Just an amazing place.  I think of it as more Western Kentucky but since it in your area I'll include it here.  Private property near the park in both Hart and Edmonson Counties have some sweet places I have seen as well.  Again Petroglyphs, natural bridges, sandstone caves, large arches and nice waterfalls abound in that part of the state.

Grayson County has some neat caves and arch features.  The ones I've been to are on private property but just pulled up and asked and was allowed to visit.

Your map also includes Wayne County, which is just filled with some incredible places.  Again mostly private property, but to list a few:
Jock Falls
Town Creek Falls (Several drops)
One of the older intact furnaces
Several caves in Monticello with arches at the openings.
Ritner is all private property and should be part of Daniel Boone.  Arches and sandstone cliffs that make you think you are driving through the Red River Gorge.
Around 100 or more documented arches in Wayne County.  I have documented a slew of waterfalls as well.  Lake Cumberland is full of them.

Louisville area has a lot of waterfalls.
Otter Creek Park, WMA or whatever they are calling it nowadays is a nice place.  Have fished for trout there and the creek walking is nice and peaceful.  Use to be a Louisville City Park I believe.
Bernheim is a worthy place to explore.

Radcliff has Saunder Springs & Tioga Falls.

Within your Central Kentucky region, there are a ton of Nature Preserves, several of which have gorgeous waterfalls.

The Kentucky Palisade region is special.  Or referred to as the Kentucky River Gorge in the past, it is the only place out of 9 that was originally suggested to be State Parks that are not a State or National Park today.  If you have ever read Daniel Boone's account of travelling the Kentucky River, it will make you wish and beg for them to remove the dams and let this river flow free again. 
I have personally seen well north of a 100 waterfalls along the Palisades, even waterfalls that tumble over arches.  There are several decent sized limestone arches in that area.  Also, you have Devil's Pulpit & Chimney Rock along the river that is a site to see.  Look up old pictures with people standing on it.  Craziness!

The Palisades: "On either side the soluble Ordovician limestone present most interesting geological phenomena: caves, candlesticks, rock chimneys, rock houses, rock windows and doors, calcareous falls, trails, and springs--all an inspiration to the nature lover."

I'd be willing to guess that there are possibly more waterfalls, or close to as many along the Kentucky River Palisades than in Daniel Boone National Forest.  I have been on streams with north of 20 distinct separate falls on them as they tumble to the Kentucky River.  The only problem is the whole area is almost exclusively private property.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »

A couple new things in there for me to look into!

Heard a new one for me. If anyone has information about a 2'O'clock springs, please PM me!  Thanks 1man you're a 1man force!

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »

Thanks 1man you're a 1man force!

I concur! Awesome addition onemansadventure!

FallenArches

• Day Hiker
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »

Because I had the rare (as in never before) work occasion that required me to drive by Scott's Ridge, I figured why not stop and snap a picture for this thread.  This is between Raywick and the Marion-Taylor county line.  That is the Rolling Fork River below. 

Not a very good photo, but gives you the general idea.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:36:02 PM by FallenArches »
We have fallen heirs to the most glorious heritage a people ever received, and each one must do his part if we wish to show that this nation is worthy of its good fortune.-Theodore Roosevelt, 7/4/1886

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »

A very good area. Remote enough.

btw I want to put a plug in for two roads this fall for you guys:

KY100 way down in southern KY from Barren River Lake east
and KY412 if you like a wide angle and driving a bit fast  >:D

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »

A little more on Bylew Holler in Mammoth Cave....

That area is incredible.  Its kinda like BSF or RRG'ish in Western KY.  Actually I'd say its the ONLY place like that in the Western part of the state.

The problem with it is access sucks.  Even though its park land you pretty much have to park at the Job Corp to get in which raises eyebrows.

I think I have a solution though... with the rip-out of the Brownsville Dam the river is no free flowing.  I was planning on doing a paddle trip from Nolin Lake tailwater to Brownsville and taking out at Bylew Creek to visit Flea Cave Falls (that giant rock-shelter you guys were discussing).

Problem is the river is full of strainers since the draw down of removing the dam.  I discussed with a guy on Meetup about it... he said the corp was going to have to take a pontoon and chainsaw just to get the river passable.

Anyway Mammoth Cave area is loaded.  The northside of the river is where the action is... First Creek Drainage, Bylew Holler and some other large hollers on the north side draining into the Green... NO ONE goes up there except for horsers for the most part.  You guys get out there and change that!

Oh yeah, there is a nice arch just downstream from Nolin Dam... I'll let you find it, its on the west side of the river about 1.5 mile downstream.
erchomai kurios lesous...

onemansadventure

• Day Hiker
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »

Oh yeah, there is a nice arch just downstream from Nolin Dam... I'll let you find it, its on the west side of the river about 1.5 mile downstream.
A very nice arch indeed.  Last time I was there there were some large pot holes from digging for artifacts.  Of course it is private property so...

Also the river is a mess.  I've hiked along it since the dam was breached.  Other than all the porting that is currently required is the fact that the banks are steep mud slopes.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 10:00:36 AM »

A very nice arch indeed.  Last time I was there there were some large pot holes from digging for artifacts.  Of course it is private property so...

Also the river is a mess.  I've hiked along it since the dam was breached.  Other than all the porting that is currently required is the fact that the banks are steep mud slopes.

Are you in South Central KY?  You sound like you might be a local if you are hiking along Nolin.....  I'm in Bowling Green if you wanna do some hiking (or MTB'ing?)
erchomai kurios lesous...

onemansadventure

• Day Hiker
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 01:24:17 PM »

Are you in South Central KY?  You sound like you might be a local if you are hiking along Nolin.....  I'm in Bowling Green if you wanna do some hiking (or MTB'ing?)
Nope, Northern Kentucky, just know the right people that are local to Edmonson County that have told or shown me some of the features there.  I spent a lot of the 2016-2017 winter exploring Mammoth Cave off trail in that part of the park.  Did a little bit this past winter, but not much.

This is the arch I think you were referring to:

Others in that area:

I'm missing a slew on my website.  I'd have to look at home for others I've been to.  There another 7 or 8 arches I've been to in that area as well as a really cool sandstone rockshelter.  Has arches inside it.

Falls:

Flea Cave Hollow was not flowing that great when I was there and yet to go over to Robbins Branch.

Mammoth Cave is definitely underrated.  I don't bike, just hike, kayak or caving.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2018, 08:41:59 PM »

I agree, the more I got to Mammoth Cave, the less I ever go to the caves.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 05:11:28 PM »

Beautiful Mammoth Cave photos . . . I've been to most of those spots and they are just absolutely incredible. Here are a few photos, including one of a massive rockshelter:

Note the person for scale.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »

My humble little thread about Central Ky is all grown up. So many good posts lately! Thanks to Mark W and all the rest for the shared knowledge. I've got to get out there soon and explore some of these places!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy