Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:05:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

thedayhascome

December 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AM
Just returned from the Red. Enjoyed beautiful sunrises and the super moon, it was an awesome time!

Bazinga

November 23, 2017, 07:22:04 AM
Turkey & wine today, Hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Life is GOOD!!!

ShifuCareaga

October 31, 2017, 10:08:51 AM
That's my surmise as well. I've seen also, about 4 or 5 all black wooly worms. That... is weird.

Arthur

October 25, 2017, 02:22:14 PM
There is a little color here, probably be about as good as its gonna get this weekend, but I just don't think its going to be a good year for it

KYhiker40

October 24, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
How are the leaves looking about now? I'm headed to RRG this Friday.

Show 50 latest
27 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct Route to Cloudsplitter  (Read 208 times)

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
Direct Route to Cloudsplitter
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:06:05 AM »

The subject is a bit misleading, intentionally. I am looking to see if anyone knows whether you can make a direct connection from the amazing overlook north of Cloudsplitter as recently featured (by me) in the "Where in the Red?" thread to Cloudsplitter along the ridge in between. It almost looks do-able from the satellite view but I'm sure there's a 100 ft cliff in the way somewhere. Anybody ever tried this? It would be awesome to knock off all that hiking on the Sheltowee. PM me if this is hush hush material (hence the vague description of my objective).

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Re: Direct Route to Cloudsplitter
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:20:38 PM »

Not sure if your talking about this overlook.

View of CS

Rock formation

Memorial

There is a partial trail from CS to this overlook on the ridge top.  There are some areas with dense dead falls (from past fire), but you can pick a path through (at least back in 2013).  Hope this helps.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »

Not sure if your talking about this overlook.

Actually, no but this is good info and great pictures! I'm talking about this view:

This is the view looking south from one of the overlooks mentioned in hinterlands related to a certain freeway and wonderland area. I actually missed the correct overlook and ended up on a spur to the east; regardless I'm still curious if either can reach the ridgeline below. It looked like the rocks stair-step down, but some of those might be huge steps! Anyone know what I'm talking about?

My logic here is that I can connect from the overlook to Cloudsplitter in less than 3/4 mile if I can take the ridgeline whereas it's over 3 miles to double back to the Sheltowee and around.

UPDATE: with careful study of the contours, it seems to be impossible. Two 100' lines closely sandwiched together around the whole overlook. No wonder the views are so good! So unless anyone knows of a weakness in that cliff line and wants to PM me, we'll consider this case closed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:22:13 AM by RCKT_RCCN »

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:23:28 PM »

While I haven't been to the overlook and area you're referring to, one night a long time ago (pre hint book days) I was camping on the "back" of Cloudsplitter ridge, we'll call it.  Like when you get up the top of the ridge Cloudsplitter is on, you hang a left and basically bushwhack that way for a little while going away from Cloudsplitter.  Anyhow, we had been set up for many hours and were just chilling out as it was getting dark and we had already made dinner and cleaned up, when a hiker came from further back the ridge and passed through camp.  We exchanged "hey there's" and he was gone in a flash.  I've often wondered where it was he was coming from because we had been there for many hours and he hadn't passed through camp heading back the ridge and had no pack so appeared to be just day hiking.  So not to say he came down from the overlook ridge you're referring to but possibly a shortcut from the Sheltowee or something???  Sounds intriguing, like a good thing to look into with the lack of leaves for a while!!

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:22:46 AM »

While I haven't been to the overlook and area you're referring to, one night a long time ago (pre hint book days) I was camping on the "back" of Cloudsplitter ridge, we'll call it.  Like when you get up the top of the ridge Cloudsplitter is on, you hang a left and basically bushwhack that way for a little while going away from Cloudsplitter.  Anyhow, we had been set up for many hours and were just chilling out as it was getting dark and we had already made dinner and cleaned up, when a hiker came from further back the ridge and passed through camp.  We exchanged "hey there's" and he was gone in a flash.  I've often wondered where it was he was coming from because we had been there for many hours and he hadn't passed through camp heading back the ridge and had no pack so appeared to be just day hiking.  So not to say he came down from the overlook ridge you're referring to but possibly a shortcut from the Sheltowee or something???  Sounds intriguing, like a good thing to look into with the lack of leaves for a while!!

That is curious, and exactly what I was hoping for. But who knows where he came from. duxsrus if you get a chance to explore it this winter let me know what you find!

copper creek

• Thru Hiker
  • I hope my knees hold out
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »

Many years ago, before I knew how to get to Cloudsplitter, I hiked north on the Sheltowee from the swinging bridge, around the Cloudsplitter ridgetop, followed the Sheltowee until it turned back on itself in the next ravine, and bushwhacked up to the ridgetop (on the northeast side of Cloudsplitter.  I continued bushwhacking south along the ridge toward Cloudsplitter and am pretty sure I was very near the saddle just below Cloudsplitter.  But at the time, I had never been there, didn't recognize the saddle for what it was, was running out of daylight, and opted to bushwhack back down to the Sheltowee on the west side (one of my many explorations that wasn't successful on the first try).  So I maybe wrong, but yes I think you can find your way to Cloudsplitter from that location.

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »

My map-in-progress shows that at one time there was a user trail in that area. I probably gleaned it it from the LAC map.
Gorgin' since '74

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »

BOOM! Spent the day down there today, what you wanna know?  8)

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:00:49 PM »

Oh come on, you can't do that and not spill the beans! So now I'm assuming the ridge behind Cloudsplitter does connect up to the ATV Freeway with some bushwhacking? Did you find a trail?
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »

Oh come on, you can't do that and not spill the beans! So now I'm assuming the ridge behind Cloudsplitter does connect up to the ATV Freeway with some bushwhacking? Did you find a trail?

!!!!

Do tell!! Or PM the two of us who are interested. haha

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 10:27:21 PM »

Possible...yes.  Rappelling required...yes.  Bushwhack...miserable.  It was cool but I don't foresee doing it again, file this under the been there...done that.  Be glad to provide any/all specifics, just PM me.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »

Possible...yes.  Rappelling required...yes.  Bushwhack...miserable.  It was cool but I don't foresee doing it again, file this under the been there...done that.  Be glad to provide any/all specifics, just PM me.

Haha you're braver than I am. PM coming shortly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy