Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:31:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Bazinga

October 06, 2017, 09:01:11 PM
On vaca today,  :)
Brews, backyard, camp fire,   Off to a good start.   :)

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Show 50 latest
24 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another fatal fall in the Gorge  (Read 172 times)

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
Another fatal fall in the Gorge
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »

http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Search-for-missing-hiker-in-the-Red-River-Gorge-450200793.html

Excerpt from the article:

Officials now confirm they have found the body of a missing hiker in the Red River Gorge.

Crews found the body just before 10:00 a.m. Tuesday. Search crews from several counties spent hours this morning looking for him near the Pinch-Em-Tight Trailhead. Crews needed repelling equipment to reach the man's body.

Mike Sparks with Powell County Search and Rescue says friends of the missing man called for help around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Those friends told officials they were hiking and realized one of their friends was missing. They feared he had fallen off a cliff.

His identity has not been released yet. We are told the group was from Ohio.

Investigators believe the hikers had been drinking while walking in the woods early Tuesday morning. Kentucky law prohibits alcohol on national forest lands such as the Daniel Boone National Park, but local officials say many people ignore that rule.

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
Re: Another fatal fall in the Gorge
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »

http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Search-for-missing-hiker-in-the-Red-River-Gorge-450200793.html

Hate to hear news like this, but you have to be careful walking around any cliffs at night, especially while drinking. Dangerous combo.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:36 PM »

This time they weren't from Ohio.  They were from Louisville.  The one who died was a well known bartender at Sake Blue.

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 01:37:51 PM »

He fell from the cliff right before the rocky outcropping of Hanson's Point, as you can clearly can see Cloudsplitter and Chimney Top in the background from the rescue photo. I know exactly where that clearing is right along the cliffline near Hanson's. There's no margin for error there, especially in the dark it would be easy to walk right off the edge before you knew what happened. Truly a tragedy.

Grim reminder that nature's beauty can strike back at any second. Be safe out there, everyone.

I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »

I saw that photo and ID'd Chimney Top and Cloudsplitter but couldn't place the clearing. Thanks for sharing. I hesitated to share the story initially, but awareness is crucial in such a beautiful but dangerous place. The loss of human life in such a manner is indeed always tragic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy