Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2018, 01:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
51 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi, I'm New Here  (Read 767 times)

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
Hi, I'm New Here
« on: September 30, 2017, 06:18:50 PM »

...Sort of...

As you may (or may not) have noticed, I haven't been too active on the site lately. And by "too active" I mean at all. And by "lately" I mean in a long time.

I ran into Cliftyman this past weekend in Louisville and it kind of reminded me that this little corner of the web is still here. And, I'm glad it is. It's cool to see folks meeting each other and exchanging stories and info. Admittedly, I don't recognize quite a lot of the names here and that's my fault for my absenteeism.

So, if we haven't met, say hi. If we have met, say hi and 'where they hell have you been?' or call me names. I deserve it. Hope you're all well. And maybe the next time I get a chance to get out in KY that doesn't involve dodging a hurricane or visiting a conference, maybe we can catch up on the trail.

keith
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
Re: Hi, I'm New Here
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 02:04:13 PM »

Keith, good to hear from you.  It has been a while.  Keep us posted from time to time on your whereabouts and activities. 
Peace

Gene

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »

welcome back for sure!

Arthur

• KYWilderness Admin
  • Thru Hiker
  • Get out!
    • Kywilderness.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »

hmmm...  I seem to remember you...  but its a little hazy.... no wait maybe that wasn't you...  or was it?  Oh well either way, bet its been longer since I have posted than you have. 

I also have been quite absent, some one reminded me of that via instant message recently.   I did a little site maintenance this morning, if any of you notice I killed a few unused boards.  Don't worry I moved all the topics to "General Discussion" just in case anyone needed some reference to info that was in them.

What a time we had; splashed through bogs, ate like hogs, slept like logs  -- Holling Gustaf Vincoeur

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 02:50:03 PM »

Thanks to both of you for continuing to provide this forum!

KyWilderness literally changed my life and relationship with the outdoors. As odd as it sounds, I probably wouldn't be in Montana without KyWilderness!

Thanks again to you guys and many thanks to all of the past and present folks who post here.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »

I too, am grateful for Arthur and Keith! I enjoy so much reading some of the old threads from the early days, you all are true adventurers!

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »

hmmm...  I seem to remember you...  but its a little hazy.... no wait maybe that wasn't you...  or was it? 

Now that is a name I haven't heard in a long time...
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 02:21:22 PM »

Haha, and here I am 6 mos. later.

I'm probably new to many here... to others... not so much.

Hello and if you'd like to swap stories on the ancient days of kywilderness.com, I'm your guy!
erchomai kurios lesous...

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »

I'm still lurking.

Starting to get curious about how the regulars are using the site and what suggestions/wants they might have. What I mostly notice is there are a coupe of really-long-living-threads that seem to get most of the action. I don't have time to take on a project right now, but who knows what the next few months might bring. Maybe a survey/poll in the future as a gauge. Of course, there's always "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"... and it ain't broke, well not exactly; there are a coupe of behind-the-scenes technical things I'd like to sort.

In the meantime, if there's something you think would make this site better and/or more useful, let us know. You can reply here or PM me or Arthur.

And, as always, thanks for stopping by.

~keith
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »

More posts from Keith!
Peace

Gene

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 10:26:41 PM »

Gene, I'm not sure anybody is ready for that  :)

Most of my "hiking" these days looks like this

Ikkyu (1394-1481)

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »

Since it's in KY & TN, a Big South Fork Topic.  Opinions?
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 08:33:18 AM »

Funny that you mention it. It's an interesting (well at least to me) discussion we've had before. BSF was pretty much the reason for the "Surrounding Areas" board... but it's also "In Kentucky"... and usually fit's in the "Backpacking / Hiking Discussion".

"Surrounding Areas" has since become pretty much the catch all for anything that's not KY. My thought is that since part of it is "In Kentucky" there's no reason to not post there about subjects exclusively within the TN side of BSF... but that may not be obvious or intuitive and so others might not think to look there. To me it seems significant enough to have it's own board.
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »

Funny that you mention it. It's an interesting (well at least to me) discussion we've had before. BSF was pretty much the reason for the "Surrounding Areas" board... but it's also "In Kentucky"... and usually fit's in the "Backpacking / Hiking Discussion".

"Surrounding Areas" has since become pretty much the catch all for anything that's not KY. My thought is that since part of it is "In Kentucky" there's no reason to not post there about subjects exclusively within the TN side of BSF... but that may not be obvious or intuitive and so others might not think to look there. To me it seems significant enough to have it's own board.

I would suggest by theme, and then like RRG certain special regions:
  • BSF
  • Mammoth Caves
  • LBtL
  • Pine Mtn
  • KY R Palisades
  • Daniel Boone areas
  • Ohio River and Louisville Area

etc...

There's a lot of things I think people just don't know are out there, and I think we all agree that promoting the RRG too much will bite us in the butt as far as loving it to death.

Just my two cents.  As far as themes, other than backpacking, there's a lot of ideas, like kayakking, hunting/WMAs, nature projects/events, etc...
I know there are too many nature preserves for us to follow all, but if people regularly shared what was happening at Bernheim, Floracliff, etc... I think the overall value of the site could increase to beyond the favorite hits.

Then again, I'm weird, so...

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 06:34:05 AM »

Weird is a side effect of Awesome!!!  ;D
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy