Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2018, 01:58:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
50 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leave No Trace and social media  (Read 405 times)

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Leave No Trace and social media
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:48:21 PM »

The issue of publicizing and promoting "sensitive" spots has been part of the discussion on this site since I joined almost 10 years ago (wow, time flies!) and it seems more important now than ever. There continues to be discussion about this issue on this forum and I have had some fulfilling and thought-provoking e-mail exchanges with several of you all over the years about it. Thanks for the conversations and for contributing to my ethical evolution in regard to sharing information and pictures of outdoor destinations.

After many conversations with friends, random hikers, USFS and NPS employees, and pretty much anyone else who would politely listen and discuss the topic, it really seems that there needs to be an 8th Leave No Trace Principle that address responsible and ethical social media use in regard to the outdoors.

A webpage dedicated to this cause has been created and is here:
https://8thlnt.wordpress.com/

And a Facebook page is here:
https://www.facebook.com/hikersforan8thlnt/

Please "like" the Facebook page and share widely and it would likely be effective to contact Leave No Trace about this as well via e-mail or an old-fashioned letter (the webpage has a template to use and contact info for Leave No Trace).

This is not encouraging elitism or secret keeping, merely thoughtful reflection, as explained succinctly on the webpage. It is not finger-wagging or rule-making. It is just asking people, from the heart, to think about the potential impact their posts might have.

Thanks!

Captain Blue

• Day Hiker
Re: Leave No Trace and social media
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »

Nice. But I think Backpacker magazine is the worst offender of all.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »

Thank you. And I agree -- this is something that "traditional" media as well as individuals participating on social media should consider.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »

I personally think that you're facing an almost insurmountable wave. I suppose I come down on the side of awareness > no awareness. And I use SM (facebook) as a weapon to make people aware of the issues for places they don't even know about (in KY).

It's hard because the "loved to death" factor is for real.

I DO have an actual way to save Natural Bridge - the rock itself - from wear n tear, but the question is, will it be allowed to happen before the rock is worn to a nub and collapses??

Harsh to talk about, but real.

Liked your page and reviewed it.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 11:39:56 AM »

Thanks, Shifu!

I would like to think that the wave isn't insurmountable, it just takes dedicated and thoughtful surfers to ride it : )

I imagine that LNT's stance on campfires and not cutting down pine boughs to sleep on was at one time viewed as insurmountable.

Thank you so much for liking the page for the kind review. It would also be much appreciated if you would contact Leave No Trace about this directly as well.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »

best link?

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »

https://8thlnt.wordpress.com/blog/

That has text you can copy and paste into an e-mail and has the contact info for LNT. Mailed letters are great, too! Thanks.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »

I think something like this makes a lot of sense. In fact, I have been deliberately filtering myself for the past couple years for just this reason. There are certain places that are not well known and should probably stay that way (see my creek hike that I posted a month ago http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?topic=7468.0). And there are certain places that that are well known but don't need any more publicity (Copperas Falls or Hansons Point).

In the end, I am conflicted. I have heard about/seen awesome places online and appreciate the information, so I benefit when people post photos/trip reports online. But, I also get frustrated at trashed out campsites and general stupidity (smouldering campfires). In an ideal world the existing LNT principles would be enough. Sadly, we don't live in an ideal world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy