Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:32:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Bazinga

October 06, 2017, 09:01:11 PM
On vaca today,  :)
Brews, backyard, camp fire,   Off to a good start.   :)

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Show 50 latest
23 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O&W trail BSF  (Read 119 times)

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
O&W trail BSF
« on: September 09, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »

Some of you may remember that I was asking about the O&W trail in Big South Fork a year or so ago, well I finally made it down there and it is a gorgeous trail that is almost completely ruined by horses  :(

I had a great couple of days on the trail and I saw a bear (always cool) and I'm pretty sure I saw a cougar. Wait, what??? Yes, I'm pretty sure I saw a cougar. I heard a slight splash, looked up expecting a deer, saw a deer sized animal, and then saw an obvious cat head and tail. Basically, I saw a cat that was deer colored/sized at about 100 pounds. I first thought bobcat, but too big. After getting home, it turns out there are actually sightings (wildlife cams) of at least one cougar near Nashville. I would not bet huge sums of money, but I'm pretty sure it was a cougar.

A couple of photos

O&W bridge

Ridiculous muddy trail, another reason to hate horse riders, the number of horse prints on the far outside of the trail was absurd. One rider actually told me her horse doesn't like water  ::)

Zenith ford on White Oak Creek

Looking down on Leatherwood Ford

Leatherwood Overlook the next morning

View from O&W bridge

I still hate snakes :)

lots more detail and photos here http://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/09/o-trail.html

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
Re: O&W trail BSF
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:00:50 PM »

That is freaking sweet! I want to see a cougar!

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:06:25 AM »

I always wish the bears would hold still long enough for a photo, the cat moved even quicker than the bear. I'll probably never see anything like it again.

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 09:43:43 AM »

Some of you may remember that I was asking about the O&W trail in Big South Fork a year or so ago, well I finally made it down there and it is a gorgeous trail that is almost completely ruined by horses

Great photos and thanks for sharing the trip details. I was just there this past weekend and can confirm that the O&W trail would be awesome if it weren't completely ruined in the soggy, wet areas by the horses. I enjoyed the creek crossings and White Oak Creek was definitely moving very quickly, making it difficult to cross. I had to carry the doggo across, because she was struggling to stay above the rushing water. Interesting that the bridge and trail were once used for steam locomotives to transport supplies and people for mining and logging operations.

This trail feels further out into the wilderness, but I definitely will try my best to avoid multiuse trails in the future. Glad to know there wasn't an ideal campsite or place to hang a hammock at Leatherwood Ford OV, because we were tempted to walk down that side road to check for a campsite.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy