Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 12:00:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

ShifuCareaga

February 22, 2018, 01:13:51 PM
intending to hit raven's run this Sunday, msg me if you want to go

Bazinga

February 10, 2018, 07:00:39 AM
Rain, rain go away. Come again on a weekday!! :'(

thedayhascome

December 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AM
Just returned from the Red. Enjoyed beautiful sunrises and the super moon, it was an awesome time!

Show 50 latest
30 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Awesome creek hike  (Read 249 times)

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
Awesome creek hike
« on: August 26, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »

This is not a secret place, in fact, it was mentioned here just a couple months ago. I saw other footprints, so this creek is definitely not a secret. I also saw a fire ring and rock "chairs" in one of the rockhouses. I would hate for this to become a "destination" that anyone can find with a little googling, so I am not mentioning the name of the creek. I'll happily provide details if you PM me.

I got to the trailhead about 10, the thermometer said 65 degrees. The forecast was for upper 70s and sunny, aka a perfect day for a creek hike.

First, I hiked the trail to a well known waterfall and had lunch

I then started at the bottom of the creek and worked my way back up to the top. The water was mostly ankle/calf deep, but in places it came up to my crotch. It was a little chilly and I was glad to be doing this in August vs. May.

The good news is I had a great time and on top of it, I only saw one snake :)

I'm going to try to get back there before it gets too cold with my camera and tripod for some better photos.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
Re: Awesome creek hike
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »

As a person who has also done this hike in the exact same order, I can testify that it is amaz..er, I mean, it's terrible. Not worth your time, full of poisonous spiders and snakes and certain death. Stay away!  :P

Thanks for sharing. I do love that area, maybe even more than other areas that are heavily frequented.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
Re: Awesome creek hike
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »

I should have mentioned the 10 foot rattlesnakes and the only know alligators in KY, that would likely keep people away :)

Part of what makes this area so great is that is not popular and trashed. Hope it stays that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy