Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Bazinga

October 06, 2017, 09:01:11 PM
On vaca today,  :)
Brews, backyard, camp fire,   Off to a good start.   :)

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Show 50 latest
23 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kayaking of Paint Lick Creek  (Read 99 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
Kayaking of Paint Lick Creek
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »

i was researching this. Didn't find a lot, just the following links. Does anybody have video or pics, are we talking more like whitewater or more like Elkhorn, nice n flat? And if so, how many portages from headwaters to the KY river?

http://www.uky.edu/WaterResources/Watershed/KRB_AR/paint_lick_crek.htm
https://www.meetup.com/Bluegrass-Canoe-and-Kayak-Group/events/102794892/

FallenArches

• Day Hiker
Re: Kayaking of Paint Lick Creek
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »

I used to have "A canoing and kayaking guide to Kentucky, 5th edition" by Bob Sehlinger, a good reference book including put in/take out spots, recommended flow, route details, shuttle time, etc.  Lost it when my son took an overnight down the Big South Fork and dumped his kayak.  Lost a GPSr, the book, binoculars and 25 ft of rope.  This book referenced pretty much every decent kayak spot in the state, including many creeks that flow into the Kentucky, but I don't remember anything about Paint Lick Creek.  My impression from the book is the creeks in the area that do run into the Kentucky are usually only runable after heavy rains, at whitewater flow. 

I think I purchased that book for $12, years ago.  Selling for $60 or so on Amazon now :o 

My guess is from the Kentucky, during summer pool, you may be able to paddle upstream for a half mile or so, whatever the backwater from the Kentucky allows.  I'd say above that, you would be creek hiking with a kayak in tow.  But that is just me guessing. 

Here is a link to a navigational chart to the Kentucky River that is pretty cool.  Won't really tell you much about your specific question, but pretty cool stuff anyway.  Paint Creek / Sugar Creek can be found on charts 20 and 21.

https://www.uky.edu/WaterResources/assets/docs/KentuckyRiverNavigationCharts2011.pdf
We have fallen heirs to the most glorious heritage a people ever received, and each one must do his part if we wish to show that this nation is worthy of its good fortune.-Theodore Roosevelt, 7/4/1886

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »

My guess is from the Kentucky, during summer pool, you may be able to paddle upstream for a half mile or so, whatever the backwater from the Kentucky allows.  I'd say above that, you would be creek hiking with a kayak in tow.  But that is just me guessing. 

This was my experience on most Kentucky River tributaries. Worth doing just on the chance that you might surprise some wildlife if you ease in slowly, but not exactly a specific experience to seek out.

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »

I used to have "A canoing and kayaking guide to Kentucky, 5th edition" by Bob Sehlinger, a good reference book including put in/take out spots, recommended flow, route details, shuttle time, etc.  Lost it when my son took an overnight down the Big South Fork and dumped his kayak.  Lost a GPSr, the book, binoculars and 25 ft of rope.  This book referenced pretty much every decent kayak spot in the state, including many creeks that flow into the Kentucky, but I don't remember anything about Paint Lick Creek.  My impression from the book is the creeks in the area that do run into the Kentucky are usually only runable after heavy rains, at whitewater flow. 

I think I purchased that book for $12, years ago.  Selling for $60 or so on Amazon now :o 

Here is a link to a navigational chart to the Kentucky River that is pretty cool.  Won't really tell you much about your specific question, but pretty cool stuff anyway.  Paint Creek / Sugar Creek can be found on charts 20 and 21.

https://www.uky.edu/WaterResources/assets/docs/KentuckyRiverNavigationCharts2011.pdf

incredibly helpful reply, you are awesome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy