Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:33:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Bazinga

October 06, 2017, 09:01:11 PM
On vaca today,  :)
Brews, backyard, camp fire,   Off to a good start.   :)

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Show 50 latest
23 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip Report: Packrafting BSF  (Read 94 times)

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
Trip Report: Packrafting BSF
« on: August 17, 2017, 02:12:45 PM »

I have been looking at the Big South Fork map for a couple years. There is a stretch of river between Big Island and Devils Jump/Blue Heron that is only accessible by boat. On top of that, a lot of the trails that parallel the river for other sections don't actually have views of the river with all of the trees getting in the way. I have also been reading trip reports of packrafting out west that sound like a lot of fun.

With the idea of packrafting the Big South Fork in mind, I got a Klymit LWD off Massdrop last fall. I'm not a whitewater paddler and I did not want to freeze, so I have been waiting for the temperature to warm a bit and for a reasonable water level. The stars finally aligned, the kids were in camp, the water level had fallen after a bunch of rain and because it was the beginning of July, it definitely was not cold.

I planned on putting in at Station Camp and paddling approximately 10 miles, camping somewhere near where the KY trail parallels the river and then hiking back to Station Camp by way of the KY Trail and No Business Creek. This would also allow me to see a part of the area that I had not seen before.

Some photos and a lot more detail/photos here http://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/08/packrafting-big-south-fork.html

The bridges need a little bit of work

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
Re: Trip Report: Packrafting BSF
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:08:45 PM »

Nice trip report and blog.  When the flow is high, you can usually find lots of kayaks and canoes in the area around Blue Heron.
Peace

Gene

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
Re: Trip Report: Packrafting BSF
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »

Nice trip report and blog.  When the flow is high, you can usually find lots of kayaks and canoes in the area around Blue Heron.

I did not think about it at the time, but I did not see anyone on the water or on the trails. I did not go as far as Blue Heron, so maybe there were some boaters in the flat water there.

One benefit of this packraft is the ability to avoid dealing with a shuttle. I like the idea of a spur of the moment trip that is not just hiking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy