Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Bazinga

October 06, 2017, 09:01:11 PM
On vaca today,  :)
Brews, backyard, camp fire,   Off to a good start.   :)

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Show 50 latest
22 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip Report: Princess Falls with kids  (Read 140 times)

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
Trip Report: Princess Falls with kids
« on: August 14, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »

I took my oldest on a two night backpacking trip in Big South Fork. We started at the Yamacraw Bridge trailhead and took the Sheltowee Trace north to Princess Falls where we set up camp.

The kids played in the sand/water while I read a book and took some photos of the falls

The next day, we hiked to Lick Falls where more digging in the sand occurred

The falls are pretty cool, but did not have a lot of water. The size of the rock shelter made it hard to photograph, but I tried

Then back to camp for more playtime, then a small campfire and marshmallows

We had a great couple of nights and got lucky with weather and no crowds. More photos and details here http://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/08/waterfalls-and-kids.html

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
Re: Trip Report: Princess Falls with kids
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 10:38:36 PM »

still a number of great shots. that sandy area was where I nearly stepped on a rattlesnake, lol!

I like how you brought out the red.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »

What a cool trip with your kids! I'd love to do this soon! Question, you mentioned in your blog post that you stitched together 8 photographs to make the large composition of the falls. As someone who has relatively little photography skills, how do you compose the individual shots for stitching? Do you have to move your camera and tripod for each one? It looks so seamless!

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:25:09 PM »

Great trip report! Looks like an awesome way to spend time with your kids.

I've never been to either Princess Falls or Lick Creek Falls (I spent most of my time in that area looking for the small falls and arches "back of beyond") but have noticed that same really distinct red streaking in rockshelters in Laurel County and a bit less in the RRG. You really brought out the colors in your photos, cool to see and this trip report really gave me a good does of the Cumberland Plateau scenery that I miss so much from time to time.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:54:35 PM »

What a cool trip with your kids! I'd love to do this soon! Question, you mentioned in your blog post that you stitched together 8 photographs to make the large composition of the falls. As someone who has relatively little photography skills, how do you compose the individual shots for stitching? Do you have to move your camera and tripod for each one? It looks so seamless!

I hand held the camera for that stitched photo. That photo was 4 across and then point up a little bit and 4 more across. Basically, take as many photos you want but make sure they overlap about 25%. Then I use Microsoft ICE (free) to stitch them together, it works really well about 90% of the time. It failed on a bunch of shots in Banff where the waves on Glacier Lake were moving. So, it would stitch the background without problem, but then there were gaps in the waves that were very obvious. With all that said, I find that my cellphone does pretty good panoramas, so I usually just use that even if I have my nice camera.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »

Great trip report! Looks like an awesome way to spend time with your kids.

I've never been to either Princess Falls or Lick Creek Falls (I spent most of my time in that area looking for the small falls and arches "back of beyond") but have noticed that same really distinct red streaking in rockshelters in Laurel County and a bit less in the RRG. You really brought out the colors in your photos, cool to see and this trip report really gave me a good does of the Cumberland Plateau scenery that I miss so much from time to time.

The only place in RRG that I recall having that red streaking is Pooch Falls (I'm sure there are some others)

Did you ever poke around near Negro Creek (south of Yahoo Falls)? A couple old horse riders that I ran into there mentioned a largish waterfall not far off the trail. I did not look very hard, but I could not find it.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 05:05:37 PM »

Yep, that waterfall is what came to mind when I was thinking of that color in the RRG.

And nope, I never did explore around Negro Creek. Hope you can get out there and take some pictures!

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:43:35 AM »

Indian Bathtub and Mark Branch Falls also have this, but none are as good as Lick Creek Falls IMO

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 08:31:27 PM »

That's an epic camp spot.  I'd say it suffers from overuse, but compared to the RRG its a well kept secret.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »

That's an epic camp spot.  I'd say it suffers from overuse, but compared to the RRG its a well kept secret.

It is a great campsite, especially with kids. And compared to RRG, it is not trashed too badly. But, I still carried out a garbage bag of other people's crap. It was Sunday - Tues and there were a number of people who came by as a day hike, I'd not plan on camping there on a weekend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy