Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 11:57:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

Show 50 latest
20 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cystic Fibrosis hike  (Read 55 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
Cystic Fibrosis hike
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:34:20 PM »

Pictured Rocks Fundraising Hike to Benefit The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
 Tell a friend  Share
Saturday, September 16, 2017 7:00 PM
to Sunday, September 24, 2017, 10:00 PM

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
1505 Sand Point Rd, Munising, MI (map)

Need to figure out a few more details but the basic idea is this:
Sept 16, Travel to Upper Peninsula and meet at a campgound (TBD)
Sept 17-20, Hike the Lakeshore Trail (part of the North Country Trail). Total mileage is about 43 miles so about 11 miles a day. We have to camp in designated campsites so it may be higher or lower. It's fairly flat terrain. It's not perfectly flat but we won't be bagging a 14er either so 11 miles won't be that bad.
Sept 21, Hike the last few miles out of Pictured Rocks and travel to Manistee National Forrest. Obviously we would stop somewhere along the way and consume what we were missing for 4 days.
Sept 22-24, Hike the Manistee River Trail and perhaps add a bit more of the North Country Trail to it. I won't be able to join on this part.

Here's the kicker. This is a fundraising hike. I'm asking that each hiker try to raise at least $200 that will go to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation through this website here.

https://hikeathon.passioncff.org/

On the right side of the page is a button that says "Create your page now". Click this and you can make a webpage that you can share on social media. Add a profile picture, change the story or whatever you want to do to make it yours. People can donate on that page and you don't have to worry about handling money. They'll get a receipt from the foundation for tax purposes if needed.

You can ask people for donations. You don't have to pay out of pocket. This $200 does not include the fees for the campsites in Pictured Rocks. There are no fees for the Manistee River Loop. Pictured Rocks campsite fees are tricky. It will depend on how many people sign up. If it's 6 or less, we have to get individual sites which is $5 per person per night. There is a two shelter limit at these sites and I am not able to book multiple sites at the same campground on the same night. So I would have to make multiple reservations at $15 each. If we get 7 or more, it's much easier. It's the same price with only 1 reservation fee. Once I get a better idea of how many people are going, I will know the cost of the sites. It will probably be around $20.00

My nephew has CF and I've done a fundraising hike of some sort every year for the last 5 years. I thank and appreciate everyone that helps make this event a success.

As always, you are responsible for you well being on this trip. You would need to provide for yourself (food, shelter, etc.) as well as practice Leave No Trace Principles. This is also an area where we need to take bear precautions (hang food, make noise, don't cover yourself with peanut butter, no selfies with the bears, etc)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy