Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 07:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

Show 50 latest
8 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disgusting, Irresponsible, Selfish and Illegal... (right, Rangers?)  (Read 396 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
Re: Disgusting, Irresponsible, Selfish and Illegal... (right, Rangers?)
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 10:52:25 PM »

while you make good points, I have to say that's apples to oranges. These areas you mention aren't even remotely in comparison to the volume, notoriety, diversity of visitor (and awareness). Sure, the quality of mindset is also different, AND not to mention ease of access.

Would you run Rupp Arena without security and janitorial staff on account of UK Ball courts get foot traffic and remain fairly clean? Or Churchill Downs vs KY Downs?

RRG has become a whole other animal. I have been all over, as you guys probably have. RRG has all the problems of a major park, because - and maybe we should be proud - it is now a major park, an international destination.  Take a look at the license plates at Muir Valley. Very few are ever KY plates. 

"People are dying... would you please shut down the system" - John Hammond

Once people's lives are at stake, all the plain theory has to change to reflect reality. City slickers are coming here and getting lost. It's not just drunk rednecks camping anymore. It'll only be a matter of time before a family of Griswalds comes from Chicago and stumbles off something and it makes National News. Not to mention the trash issue, the bears, the graffiti.

I'd personally hate to lose my easy access. I really would. But doing nothing different is a disaster waiting to happen. Besides, some of that funding needs to go to very, very active culture education.

it's up to each of us to do our part in educating the public on how special the Red area is. Climbers know it. Now everyone else needs to.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
Re: Disgusting, Irresponsible, Selfish and Illegal... (right, Rangers?)
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »

You are right that the volume of people matters, but I am not sure that numbers explains the massive amount of crap that gets left behind. Obviously, there is no way to prove who is right here, so we will just have to keep cleaning up after slobs and hope that people's mindsets change.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy