Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:33:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Bazinga

October 06, 2017, 09:01:11 PM
On vaca today,  :)
Brews, backyard, camp fire,   Off to a good start.   :)

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Show 50 latest
23 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip report, new destinations found, some hidden gems  (Read 151 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
Trip report, new destinations found, some hidden gems
« on: July 11, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »

Hey guys, been a LONG time since I did a trip report.

This past weekend was a good example of why sometimes you just "keep swinging". Two notable successes, thanks to laurelwanderer on here I did get to Bolton Branch Arch. It has camping under it, I will contact rangers this week as I believe it's old.

the arch itself

I took the kids shooting, at the Miller-Welch WMA. Here's my sighting in of a cricket 22LR at 50 yards, iron sights.

Stopped at Short creek... too high to swim, or too fast.

Found this random nearby Ping Sinking Valley WMA... looks like pure brush attack

Which is honestly how Buck Creek Preserve looked, and being I had my kids, I decided I'll have to come back in the Winter. Anyone got good advice on these two locales... or the Steps/Thunderstruck Shoals PM me please. I'm not seeing what benefit to go back, but maybe something special is hidden there??
TS overlook:

camped that night at Grove Marina campground... overpaid because all that was left of convenience was the double spot. Still cheaper than hotel, so I'm not bent about it. But my 3 year old girl was nto about to be camped way downhill from a bathroom.

Laurel Lake was great, but believe it or not had the WORST fishing experience next day. Won't dwell on it. It involved some rednecks, and some rude kayaakers... For some reason people are attracted to a man with kids and fishing poles. LOL. I persevered, no one got taken out :) But after 2 hours my daughter was done, I spent all my time teaching and running poles so it was worth teaching the boys.

Then we went north, another nice shot along the 751N

Sadly, some graffiti at the springs
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22196477/IMG_20170709_132740.jpg

The London Dragway was a far off shot, will have to revisit. So random to have a dragstrip in the middle of the DBNF! Great drive, though!

Stopped by to photo the entrance to the Wildcat Adventure Park. Folks this and Black Mountain are the best setups in the state. I was thoroughly impressed, it will score high! I will be back. They do NOT offer rentals you need your own offroad vehicles.  Yes to mountain biking, no to horses and guns if you are wondering.

Oh, one more thing... I'd appreciate help identifying the location of the Haunted Cave. No one was home nearby apparently... I struck out a lot over the weekend.

I have to teach Tai Chi right now I will continue in post 2 with other topics.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:58:56 PM by ShifuCareaga »

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
Re: Trip report, new destinations found, some hidden gems
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »

So there are a number of new Destinations found on this trip and through research. You can all find it on the map.

I wanted to point out that there is a riverboat and zipline tour down in the Laurel county area.
A big treetop roundhouse rental
A preserve which I will keep somewhat private for the moment.

There are a number of preserves I've also discovered down on the Pine Mountain, they are newer.

Furthermore I found some new building type locations.

AND I found a page all about more Bee Rock area falls to get to. Just google Mt. Victory Falls and there's a blog post well worth a look.

I've now got a forwarding address for the map at www.Hiddendestinationsky.com

OK, if you have any questions write back or pm me. Peace.

laurelwanderer

• Day Hiker
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »

That camp site and trash under Bolton Branch Arches was not there back in the winter.  There use to be a bench made out of branches that was under the arch but there wasn't any trash to speak of.

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »

reminds me I need to call the rangers today... so much to do
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy