Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2017, 07:53:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

Show 50 latest
26 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip Report: Hanson's Point w/ 4yr old  (Read 251 times)

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
Trip Report: Hanson's Point w/ 4yr old
« on: June 12, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »

Took my 4 year old son and 16 week old puppy to the Red over the weekend for their first backpacking trip. They both did awesome, I was so impressed and proud of how well my son did overall with hiking and carrying about 3 pounds on his back. Total trip over 2 days was around 6 miles.

Dad's Gear List | 8.5lbs https://lighterpack.com/r/g3aqrp
Kid's Gear List | 3.2lbs (including toys) https://lighterpack.com/r/ed5778

Arrived noon on Friday, started at Pinch 'Em Tight TH and hiked about 3.5 miles to Hanson's Point. Only saw a few people on the trail. Boy did really well over all of fallen trees, it was quite an adventure for him. I'm tempted to bring a chainsaw next time. :D

We had the Point to ourselves all afternoon, then went down towards Foot Wash Falls to filter water and head back up to camp. We shared the sunset with one other small group. This weekend was one of the few times when Hanson's wasn't a traffic jam, so it was nice. The trails started to get busier by mid-morning on Saturday when we were leaving.

Definitely a successful first trip. Next time, I will plan to camp closer to a water source that isn't such a pain to access, probably closer to the river or a larger creek so we can also swim. Gray's Arch area and playing in the creek at King Branch or doing a creek walk at CC, similar to what wsp_scott posted recently. Would appreciate any recommendations on areas that are good for backpacking with kids that have some interesting structures or arches and access to a great swim or creek spot.

Here are a few favorites photos:

Pinch Em Tight Trail

The Point

Revenuer's Rock

Chimney Top

Vader on Hanson's

Last Campsite on user trail

Sunset on Hanson's

Sunrise

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:28:13 PM by thedayhascome »
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Re: Trip Report: Hanson's Point w/ 4yr old
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »

Awesome pictures and great trip report! Glad you all had a good time and had the area (mostly) to yourselves.

As far as places to do a trip near water, I would recommend Gladie Creek. See the entry in "Hinterlands" for more information, or you could hike up to near the Sheltowee Creek/Lost Branch Trail junction and camp near the Salt Fork of Gladie Creek. As far as creeks in the southeast go, Gladie Creek is pretty friendly to walking beside or wading in it and there are user-trails in that area which make the going easier (or more confusing, depending on your perspective).

Not a whole lot of rocks or arches going on, but if some decent swimming is what you're after and you'd prefer not to see many others, then I think Gladie Creek is worth putting on your list of options. Salt Fork is a pretty neat stream to hike up for a ways, too. Nothing spectacular but feels remote.

PLENTY of places in the Big South Fork that I would recommend, or even around Cumberland Falls State Park in the Daniel Boone National Forest, but that might add significantly to your driving time depending on where you're coming from.

Also, that's really cool you're getting your son started backpacking so early!

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »

I took my oldest kid (now 8.5 years) backpacking in the gorge when she was 4.5. We set up at the probably illegal site on Swift Camp Creek just north of Rock Bridge. But,when I was in the area a couple months ago, the site was not flagged as illegal, so maybe it is ok. Personally, I think that the gorge is a little too trashed for me to take the kids camping there and the possibility of the drunk party crowd camping nearby is a drawback as well.

I think that a creek to play in is key to occupying young kids, not to mention easy access to drinking water is nice. I'm thinking of following the Douglas Trail out to the intersection with Clifty Creek. I would only do this in the middle of the week to avoid the party crowd.

I'm going to take my kids to the part of the Sheltowee Trace that feeds into Van Hook Falls. There are some good creeks and small falls about a mile from the road and a couple level campsites. I can give more details if you like. The first bunch of photos here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/05/rockcastle-narrows.html give you an idea of what you can expect in this area.

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:58:09 PM »

I'm going to take my kids to the part of the Sheltowee Trace that feeds into Van Hook Falls. There are some good creeks and small falls about a mile from the road and a couple level campsites.

Thanks, that section of the Sheltowee looks great. Van Hook Falls is gorgeous. Hopefully this area remains a little more pristine than the Red due to its location. Will definitely check that out for my next trip with the kids.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 08:04:17 PM »

I'm at that point in my backpacking life that I find myself enjoying familiar spots, wanting to return again and again to those special places.  The more I hike, the more Hanson's Point calls my name.  Great pictures.  I haven't been since January, will have to make my way there soon.

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »

I'm at that point in my backpacking life that I find myself enjoying familiar spots, wanting to return again and again to those special places.  The more I hike, the more Hanson's Point calls my name.  Great pictures.  I haven't been since January, will have to make my way there soon.

I agree, I also have a short list of favorites that I tend to revisit vs. a few unvisited places, just because I know the reward or view is much better. Hanson's is very special to me and most people. Probably because it's still hard for most people to access instead of walking right out to Chimney Top or Sky Bridge.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy