Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 03:36:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

Today at 07:22:04 AM
Turkey & wine today, Hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Life is GOOD!!!

ShifuCareaga

October 31, 2017, 10:08:51 AM
That's my surmise as well. I've seen also, about 4 or 5 all black wooly worms. That... is weird.

Arthur

October 25, 2017, 02:22:14 PM
There is a little color here, probably be about as good as its gonna get this weekend, but I just don't think its going to be a good year for it

KYhiker40

October 24, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
How are the leaves looking about now? I'm headed to RRG this Friday.

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Show 50 latest
26 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to build a coalition  (Read 157 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
trying to build a coalition
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »

using KY From Above data, made this...

There are no laws to protect these mounds outright. It takes a coalition of willing landowners.

If there is anyone willing to help, please let me know.
-Ramon

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: trying to build a coalition
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »

What is this exactly?  What makes these special?

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:17:31 AM »

Are we looking at the Mt Horeb earthworks? If so, the items highlighted on the western side are not mounds, they are modern homes. The pool for the house in the northwest corner is a dead giveaway. If you consult the aerial on google maps you can see the houses clearly. The circular one in the middle of the page appears to be a hay ring for cattle or horses. I'm not attempting to be a debbie-downer because I do really appreciate all the work Ramon (ShifuCareagea) puts into protecting our wonderful state's natural and historical heritage. With that said, he is on to something with using the lidar data to discover hidden earthworks that we don't know about and aren't currently protected (not to mention hidden waterfalls as well  :) )
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:27:13 AM by RCKT_RCCN »

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »

Are we looking at the Mt Horeb earthworks? If so, the items highlighted on the western side are not mounds, they are modern homes. The pool for the house in the northwest corner is a dead giveaway. If you consult the aerial on google maps you can see the houses clearly. The circular one in the middle of the page appears to be a hay ring for cattle or horses. I'm not attempting to be a debbie-downer because I do really appreciate all the work Ramon (ShifuCareagea) puts into protecting our wonderful state's natural and historical heritage. With that said, he is on to something with using the lidar data to discover hidden earthworks that we don't know about and aren't currently protected (not to mention hidden waterfalls as well  :) )

good to know, I misunderstood Carl Shields! Hard to follow over the phone.

What makes these special... as opposed to the priceless ones of Ohio? Two things. The first is that Peter's Village and Lost City, for example, are probably older sites. And the Earthworks of the Ohio River Valley are the largest and most mysterious in the world (above water)

The second is: their your heritage. As opposed to Egypt, Mexico, or some far off place.

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up, I'll have to go back and figure out which hidden mound he was referring to.

Edward Henry's Dissertation on the entire ancient complex is hopefully going to be published this Fall or coming Spring, and then we'll get to see what all the science reveals. Until then I keep "digging"

Right now trying to make connections with the horse crowd because they really have all the power here. The Laws are completely inadequate to prevent anything. Unless we go forward and help scour the countryside with KY From Above and get these things labeled as NRHP before a barn is built there, or what have you.

I have already promised the Cherokee and 'spirits' if you will that I won't rest until like Ohio we change our state to show some respect for our heritage. 

This Sunday is a talk given by the writer of Graves of the Golden Bear about iron and stone age forts in the area. I'll let you guys know the details of his talk.

Thanks again for the corrections, I'll get that fixed!! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy