Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 03:33:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

Today at 07:22:04 AM
Turkey & wine today, Hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Life is GOOD!!!

ShifuCareaga

October 31, 2017, 10:08:51 AM
That's my surmise as well. I've seen also, about 4 or 5 all black wooly worms. That... is weird.

Arthur

October 25, 2017, 02:22:14 PM
There is a little color here, probably be about as good as its gonna get this weekend, but I just don't think its going to be a good year for it

KYhiker40

October 24, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
How are the leaves looking about now? I'm headed to RRG this Friday.

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Show 50 latest
28 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hopewell Arch  (Read 374 times)

kobrakai

• Day Hiker
Hopewell Arch
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »

I'm headed to the Gorge this weekend with my son and girlfriend and we want to see Hopewell. I've been told that there's a road just West of Copperas Creek that has an old road that goes right to the arch. Is that an easier route than following the creek and heading off and how easy is it to find the old road/trail?

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
Re: Hopewell Arch
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:45:31 AM »

I've been told that there's a road just West of Copperas Creek that has an old road that goes right to the arch.

Parking at the Osborne Bend TH, access to Copperas Creek will be directly to the west. You will see a very defined user trail, near the Copperas Creek Canoe Launch signage. You can follow that trail, and depending upon how much rain fall, could drop down off the trail to follow Copperas for sometime. Without GPS, you will need to keep track of the features as Hopewell is difficult to locate without GPS. It is high up the ridge. You can locate the old logging road that runs North/South on the West side of Copperas Creek and follow it for a short time. If you come to large rhododendron wall blocking the logging road, then you have gone too far. If there has been recent rain fall, you will be able to hear the trickle of the natural waterfall within the arch that will help locate it. There is a small stream that runs down directly from the arch, so you could also watch for that to help locate and follow it up to the top of the ridge.

Just remember that it's high up on the ridge, you won't be able to see it from the creek and there is a decent climb to gain access to it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:16:49 AM by thedayhascome »
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

kobrakai

• Day Hiker
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »

Thanks! Is the old logging road above the arch?

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »

Thanks! Is the old logging road above the arch?

The logging road that I'm referring to is about 100-150' below Hopewell that runs parallel with Copperas. You can start out at the TH onto the user trail, drop down to see the small waterfall after just several minutes on the trail, follow Copperas for a short time then head West and you will eventually join up with the logging road. You can follow that North until you are near Hopewell and find the small runoff stream then head due West and uphill. You will trek about .4 miles from the road before needing to climb up to find the arch.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »

As you head north on the logging road, if you come to an old permanent camp, you've gone to far.  There isn't a lot there now, but you will recognize items left behind.  I personally think its easier to find if you hike straight up hill from the road, to the old logging road.  From this point, looking directly down at the road, you follow the logging road maybe 1/2 mile before coming to a faint user trail on your left, which goes uphill to a view of the Arch.  In wet weather, you'll hear the water flowing thru the Arch before you see the faint user trail I'm referring to.  For orientation, Copperas Creek will be downhill on your right for the entire hike.

kobrakai

• Day Hiker
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 04:53:32 PM »

Thanks for all the help. I ended up just following Copperas Creek and cutting up the hill. It wasn't an easy place to get to but well worth it. What a spectacular formation!

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 01:33:32 PM »

Thanks for all the help. I ended up just following Copperas Creek and cutting up the hill. It wasn't an easy place to get to but well worth it. What a spectacular formation!

Glad you found it! It is pretty spectacular and well hidden from most. Which makes it even more well worth the effort.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy