Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2017, 01:28:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

Show 50 latest
5 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auxier Branch creek crossing  (Read 268 times)

djmd

• Day Hiker
Auxier Branch creek crossing
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »

Hello-

Camping down at Koomer in a week and a half and putting together a dayhike. I've gone out Auxier Ridge and come back on Courthouse Trail, but this time I think we are going to go out to Double Arch and then head southbound on Auxier Ridge via Auxier Branch. It looks like there is a creek crossing on the branch. Since there is rain in the forecast every day next week, does anyone have any idea what we might expect? Will bringing extra shoes and socks be enough, or could it be too dangerous to cross?

djmd

• Day Hiker
Re: Auxier Branch creek crossing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »

Hello-

Camping down at Koomer in a week and a half and putting together a dayhike. I've gone out Auxier Ridge and come back on Courthouse Trail, but this time I think we are going to go out to Double Arch and then head southbound on Auxier Ridge via Auxier Branch. It looks like there is a creek crossing on the branch. Since there is rain in the forecast every day next week, does anyone have any idea what we might expect? Will bringing extra shoes and socks be enough, or could it be too dangerous to cross?

Well, I think I found the answer myself. There just so happens to be a Panoramio pic of the crossing on Google Earth. I think we'll be ok, unless there are rains of epic proportions. I still welcome feedback on this hike though, since I've never been on Double Arch Trail.

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, coming down from Double Arch heading to Courthouse, there is only the one creek crossing and it should be fairly manageable, even with heavier rain expected for the week. Is this the right direction and the creek you are referring to? I didn't quite recognize the location of the Google Panoramio image.

Regardless, the trail in that area should be nice. I would say the biggest concern would be careful footing on the ups and downs on exposed, wet rock of Auxier Ridge.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:33:03 PM »

Was down there a couple weeks ago and it looked about like it does in the picture.  I wouldn't even call it a creek crossing, nothing to worry about.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:24:10 PM »

Unless you tried to cross it walking on your hands in a 100-year flood type of event, you should be good : )

copper creek

• Thru Hiker
  • I hope my knees hold out
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »

Makes a nice loop, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Duxsrus: I just noticed your profile photo of someone (you?) leaning on frog's head.  That gives me the "heebee jeebees".  I think I'm going to throw up and fall out of my chair just thinking about it.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:30:40 PM »

The official trails usually have easy (but sometimes muddy) crossings.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:41:13 PM by Bazinga »
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 10:51:30 PM »

Makes a nice loop, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Duxsrus: I just noticed your profile photo of someone (you?) leaning on frog's head.  That gives me the "heebee jeebees".  I think I'm going to throw up and fall out of my chair just thinking about it.

Haha....yeah that's me.  I'm not 1/10th as much of an adrenaline junkie as I was in my 20's however fast forward 20+ years and I had no problems very cautiously scooting out to the frog's head and taking a gander over the edge.  It was exhilarating.  I don't stray very close to edges on two feet anymore but I will lay down and belly crawl to them.  Lovers Leap over at Natural Bridge is a must do!!

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »

Yeah, you're more likely to fall on your butt and slide down a small mud hill shortly after that picture than you are to get wet trying to cross the creek.  But is it a reliable water source all year, which is valuable in that part of the gorge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy