Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 26, 2017, 10:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

ShifuCareaga

March 18, 2016, 10:39:51 PM
you need dit da jow, would heal twice as fast  ;)

Bazinga

March 12, 2016, 07:46:55 AM
Broke my little toe, no hiking for awhile. >:(

Show 50 latest
21 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Castle to Red Byrd  (Read 60 times)

kymyers

• Over Nighter
Castle to Red Byrd
« on: March 18, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »

The trip report to Castle Arch sparked my thoughts.  Am now planning to try for Red Byrd from the ridgetop behind Castle.  Any one on the forum have current information on conditions, etc...?  Everything I can find is at least a couple of years old.

thedayhascome

• Day Hiker
  • Josh
Re: Castle to Red Byrd
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:39:11 AM »

When I visited Castle Arch, my intentions were to head towards Red Byrd for my first trip out there. However, I was by myself and have never been, so I decided to head to Copperas to a more established trail. Same findings from my research, nothing new posted and everything that I've seen recently states that the user trail somewhat dissipates as you leave Castle Arch along the ridge, however you do pick up the old forest service road and some 4x4 trails to eventually connect with the Risner Cemetery. From my understanding, that trek is bushwhacking, scrambling over blowdowns and relying on topos and GPS to head north and locate the arch. It sounds fairly straightforward, just not a significant trail leading to Red Byrd from the cemetery, so may take a little additional time.

I'm actually planning a trip and intend to go to Red Byrd from Castle Arch within the next 1-2 weeks. If anyone is interested in a group outing, I would love to join.

Perhaps someone has recently been and can provide a better update?
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy