Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:32:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Bazinga

October 06, 2017, 09:01:11 PM
On vaca today,  :)
Brews, backyard, camp fire,   Off to a good start.   :)

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Show 50 latest
23 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip Report: Kayaking at Laurel River Lake  (Read 313 times)

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
Trip Report: Kayaking at Laurel River Lake
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »

I got to spend a couple days/nights paddling around Laurel River Lake at the end of February. I know most people like photos, if you want more details (and photos), you can find them here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/03/kayak-on-laurel-river-lake.html

Venus

The hiking trail at the White Oak Boat In Campground is a good one. I would not make a special trip, but if you are in the area, it is worth it for a dayhike.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Trip Report: Kayaking at Laurel River Lake
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »

Very nice.  I've always wanted to kayak at Laurel.  I've used their campground as a stop off for a night on my way to the Cumberland Gap, but really never spent much time there.  Looks like a great time.

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 04:13:30 PM »

that night shot tho...

AmblingAmos

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:31:06 PM »

Bringing up an old thread here but....I'm REALLY loving this lake.  We made a day trip there last fall, and was just there for another day trip on July 4th.  We powerboat and yak/canoe and this lake is perfect for us.  I consider myself a Lake Cumberland refugee.  There's just too much traffic, and too many people for me to enjoy that lake.

Laurel is perfect so far, but we're now looking to make it our "go-to" lake for camping.  We want to try the Holly Bay campground, but are also considering the White Oak boat ins.  The 2 times we've been so far, the lake and campgrounds have been mostly empty.  Is it usually that way?  If so, it sounds perfect!

Hoping to take a week off soon to spend there with the powerboat and yaks, and do a bit of hiking too.
"It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight"  I'm Alive - Kenny Chesney/Dave Matthews

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »

Bringing up an old thread here but....I'm REALLY loving this lake.  We made a day trip there last fall, and was just there for another day trip on July 4th.  We powerboat and yak/canoe and this lake is perfect for us.  I consider myself a Lake Cumberland refugee.  There's just too much traffic, and too many people for me to enjoy that lake.

Laurel is perfect so far, but we're now looking to make it our "go-to" lake for camping.  We want to try the Holly Bay campground, but are also considering the White Oak boat ins.  The 2 times we've been so far, the lake and campgrounds have been mostly empty.  Is it usually that way?  If so, it sounds perfect!

Hoping to take a week off soon to spend there with the powerboat and yaks, and do a bit of hiking too.

no, that's a recent last few years thing. sad, no?

man I had the WORST fishing experience there on Sunday. The people...

but I love this lake, one of my favorites!

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »

I've only done the one paddle trip that started this thread and that was in Feb. There were a few bass boats, but it was too cold for water play. My assumption is that would be different on a holiday like July 4. Roughly how many boats did you see during the day? 20-40 or more than 100? Did you go by White Oak?

I also have stayed at Holly Bay once, but that was at the end of the season (only 1 or 2 loops were open). It wasn't full, but most of the available sites were occupied.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:00:08 PM by wsp_scott »

AmblingAmos

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »

It actually rained on us a couple times on the 4th, so I think that might have scared away most of the traffic.  We were there from about noon to 8:30 and I bet we didn't seen 20 or 30 boats out on the lake.  Ran from the all the way up in the cliffs of Craigs creek to the bald eagle nest in the power lines up the Laurel River end.  It was most definitely a nice peaceful day.

On the website for Holly Bay campground, it seems most all the tent sites are first come first serve.  We've always booked sites ahead of time, so it make me a bit nervous to drive that far and be left with unfavorable sites.

Hopefully this lake is normally not crowded and can become our new "home lake".  The big three weekends I normally avoid because of the people and traffic.  So the party crowd can have those three, if the lake returns to a peaceful normal the rest of the season.
"It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight"  I'm Alive - Kenny Chesney/Dave Matthews

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »

Thanks for that info. I'm think I'm going to check out White Oak Boat In with one of my kids if it will just cool down a little bit. If I make it down there, I'll update this thread.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »

I spent a couple nights at the Holly Bay campground at the end of July. It was a beautiful weekend and the campground was full. We got there on a Saturday around 11 and all the RV sites were full and there were only a couple walk-in tent sites left.

There were a lot of powerboats on the lake during the weekend, but Monday was very quiet even though the weather was still great. Based on this trip, I'll go back to Holly Bay, but only in the middle of the week.

and once again, the light pollution frustrated me for star photos. I think the marina must have quite a few lights on the docks to have this much glow on the water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy