Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 26, 2017, 10:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

ShifuCareaga

March 18, 2016, 10:39:51 PM
you need dit da jow, would heal twice as fast  ;)

Bazinga

March 12, 2016, 07:46:55 AM
Broke my little toe, no hiking for awhile. >:(

Show 50 latest
21 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Article: Graffiti vandals plague popular Red River Gorge destination  (Read 115 times)

Captain Blue

• Day Hiker

SLADE, Ky. (AP) - Federal forestry officials say there is a growing graffiti problem at Kentucky's popular outdoor destination, Red River Gorge.

The geological area is a favorite with hikers and rock climbers, but officials say vandals are becoming all too common.

The area in eastern Kentucky is part of the Daniel Boone National Forest. Red River Gorge manager Tim Eling says carving and spray painting on exposed rock features is increasing. Eling says they are seeing more brightly-colored spray paint on rock surfaces.

Eling says it is costly to remove the paint from the area's sandstone features.

Visitors are encouraged to report vandalism to the nearest Forest Service office. A release from forestry officials says those caught vandalizing will be fined and prosecuted in federal court.

Link: http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Graffiti-vandals-plague-popular-Red-River-Gorge-destination-415310533.html

thedayhascome

• Day Hiker
  • Josh
Re: Article: Graffiti vandals plague popular Red River Gorge destination
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »

The geological area is a favorite with hikers and rock climbers, but officials say vandals are becoming all too common.

This is quite disheartening, but all to common for places that are literally "loved to death." There's an innate, primal urge for man to leave his mark on the world, it's just a shame that some people fail to realize there are better ways than spray painting graffiti and carving their names into the rock faces. Below are few recent photos from the DBNF Facebook account, including their cleanup efforts with power washers. I can't imagine trying to haul a 50lb. power washer on the trails.

The Leave No Trace organization visited in October last year. https://lnt.org/blog/fighting-graffiti-red-river-gorge Public education and enforcement will only help to slow this issue, I doubt it will ever stop. As always, if you see anyone defacing our beloved Red, call the local ranger station:
Cumberland Ranger District: 606-784-6428
Gladie Visitor Center: 606-663-8100
London Ranger District: 606-864-4163
Stearns Ranger District: 606-376-5323
Redbird Ranger District: 606-598-2192

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:03:20 AM by thedayhascome »
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
Re: Article: Graffiti vandals plague popular Red River Gorge destination
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »

If I catch anyone, you'll see the news that a vandal was apprehended via being judo'd.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy