Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 11:24:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

ShifuCareaga

March 18, 2016, 10:39:51 PM
you need dit da jow, would heal twice as fast  ;)

Bazinga

March 12, 2016, 07:46:55 AM
Broke my little toe, no hiking for awhile. >:(

Show 50 latest
21 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creek hike  (Read 219 times)

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
Creek hike
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:05 AM »

It was a grey potentially rainy day in the middle of the week. I figured I would have the gorge to myself. I have been trying to get better at photography and though this would be the perfect time to head to Rock Bridge since there would not be anyone at Creation Falls. Then I was going to go find Pooch Falls and Turtle Back Arch. I was set for a perfect day and I turned onto Rock Bridge Road and the gate was shut  >:( The sign said that the gravel roads in the gorge were closed because of all the rain.

At this point, I wanted to photograph waterfalls (not to mention the ridges looked windy and cold), but I knew I only had a couple hours since I needed to get my kids off the school bus, so where to go? I realized that I had not visited an old favorite for at least a year, so I headed towards the concrete bridge.

Along the way, I stopped at Sky Bridge to check out the view. No one was there :) I followed a user trail along the cliff face and ended up at the end of the cliff below the view point. Nice view, but windy and grey.

A little bit of rock art along the cliff line

Then headed to the creek that I am not going to explicitly mention. You all know what I am talking about.

A tree covered in fungus

and another tree and fungus

a great couple of hours, only passed a couple of cars on the road and no one on the trail. I love it when I have the gorge to myself :)

a couple more pics here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/01/creek-hiking-to-waterfall.html

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Re: Creek hike
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:56:57 AM »

Sounds like a good day!

Awesome you had that waterfall all to yourself. I really like the black-and-white photo of the waterfall and the fungus close-up, great photos.

thedayhascome

• Day Hiker
  • Josh
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »

Beautiful photos, and with all of the rain especially nice to have the waterfall to yourself. Thanks for sharing.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:26:26 PM »

Nice pics.  Grey fungus is my fav.  :)

We went to Broke Leg Falls Sunday.  Parked in lower lot, walked out to overlook, turned on camera, pressed the button & nothing.  Damn no battery & I left the bag at home!!!  :'( 

The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »

Glad you liked the photos, it was a pretty good day.

Where is Broke Leg Falls? I haven't heard that name before.

Here are a couple more photos from the Douglas Trail this past week. There were a couple cars (and people) at the trailhead, but I never saw anyone on the trail. Once again, it felt like I had the gorge to myself. Pretty crazy since I was hiking in shorts and a t-shirt, which is also pretty crazy for the middle of January :)

Which version do you like best? Color or B&W? My wife likes the color and I keep going back and forth :)

Upper Red River

I had never been out to the Wall of Denial, so I got to see something new. The colors and patterns in the rock are very cool. That cliff line is pretty impressive. Almost makes me wish I was a climber :)

some more pics here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/01/douglas-trail.html

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »

I agree with your wife, I like the color photo. 

Broke Leg Falls is between Wellington & Ezel on Hwy 460.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy