Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2018, 01:58:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
50 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: some kinda megahike...  (Read 1223 times)

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Re: some kinda megahike...
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 06:54:30 AM »

Option E :
Find a cliffline and follow it.  Could be easy peasy with dry open forest and a trail like path near the base of the cliff or it could be bushwhacking through dead fall and sideways rhodo on a steep slippery slope.   :laugh:
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »

I would vote for options A, B, D, or E. Bazinga I'm taking a trip down in January to try my hand at an Option E of my own. Pretty excited about it. I can't give any details, at least not yet.  ;)

I would also vote for a later date. I have a six month old at home so I have to spread out my adventures to keep in good graces with my wife. So early February would be a no-go, but perhaps late in the month or even better would be sometime in March.

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 10:13:40 AM »

Okay everyone, thanks for the feedback. My proposal would be to start at Castle Arch, hike towards Red-Byrd, check out the homestead and old cemetery, cross the Red River and continue towards Eagle Point Buttress. For those only wishing to participate in a day hike, we could connect back at the Osborne Bend TH and you could depart from there. The remaining group would then continue on for an overnight to the Copperas area and beyond for some backcountry exploration. Details would be decided by the group at that point. By mid-to-late February, I would assume and hope that Copperas will be frozen over nicely.

To make scheduling this a bit easier, I'm using Doodle. Your responses are anonymous and will help pinpoint an exact date. If you have family and/or friends, I would encourage them to come along as well, the more the merrier! If you want to do an overnight, then select both the Saturday and Sunday. The ranges are from early February to mid March before St. Patrick's Day. You can also select the dates that will not work for you.

Please submit your responses, I will close this poll by the end of December to confirm a final date and time. Thanks everyone! Looking forward to putting a face to a name soon.

https://doodle.com/poll/7hws5ktkr9sxg7rv
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 11:59:00 AM »

option A if I can make it

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »

I clicked on that link but I need a directions for dummys I guess, I can't make any sense of it.

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 10:38:32 PM »

I clicked on that link but I need a directions for dummys I guess, I can't make any sense of it.

Not a problem. That link (Doodle) is going to help provide everyone's availability so I can choose the best date to schedule the group hike. For anyone wanting to provide their availability, just click once in the box to make a green checkmark for the days that you would be available and leave the boxes blank for weekends you can't make it. So, for example you are available on Feb 3 & 4, or Feb 10 & 11, etc., type your name and click the dates you could make.

Currently looks like it could be either February 17 & 18 or March 3 & 4.

Everyone, please provide your available days to help schedule the group hike:
https://doodle.com/poll/7hws5ktkr9sxg7rv
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »

if someone can sticky this; I can do the doodle next year; but not right now

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »

What's up here?  Did we pick a weekend?  I know whatever we decide, I'm going to "need" several trips before then to decide on my gear, get my legs under me, etc.   ;)

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »

What's up here?  Did we pick a weekend?  I know whatever we decide, I'm going to "need" several trips before then to decide on my gear, get my legs under me, etc.   ;)

The best day for everyone who completed the form is March 3. This will most likely be in slightly warmer weather so the ice columns may have disappeared by then, we'll see how brutal this winter turns out to be. However, the Red experienced warm weather (mid-sixties) in both January and February of 2017, so hard to predict the best time to go. We can schedule a fallback date in case there is 3 feet of snow.

I will create a post and get it stickied so that everyone can confirm and hold the date.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy