Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 02:34:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Bazinga

May 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
This old lady is officially on Vacation!!  Rented a cabin in BSF next week. :)

ShifuCareaga

April 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
The red was looking great yesterday. Wish I had time to go to Muir today.

ShifuCareaga

April 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Hang Em High Horse Camp, or White Oak Boat in; north a bit from there near Horse Lick Creek is the S-tree primitive camps, it's actually quite nice.
If you want large, then of course you're back to state park and lake campgrounds.

Pat Curran

April 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM
I'm looking for info regarding backcountry camping in the DBNF London District, preferably near Buck Creek.  Bee Rock and Rockcastle Campgrounds are both closed and we'd prefer to camp more primitively. Little Lick is small and best suited for horses.
Suggestions?

Show 50 latest
38 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: some kinda megahike...  (Read 1225 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
some kinda megahike...
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »

From MeetUp https://www.meetup.com/Central-Kentucky-Backpackers/events/236136445/?rv=me1&_xtd=gatlbWFpbF9jbGlja9oAJDEzOWJkNWNlLTQ0ZmItNDZlYi04ZDM1LTIxODJkYTc1NjA2MQ
Day Trip To Roughly 15 Arches
Central Kentucky Backpackers
Sunday, December 18, 2016
6:30 AM
Chevron Gas Station / Park and Ride
12056 Campton Rd
Slade, KY

Larry Hastings
I'm leading a trip to red Byrd arch noahs spout moonbeam arch doorway arch hole in the ceiling arch highbeam arch full moon arch Hawkeye arch rough arch Hopewell arch snow arch double deer arch copperas arch 3 copperas pillar arch I'm starting at day...

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Re: some kinda megahike...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:55:17 PM »

Holy guacamole that's a lot of arches! Always interesting to see the different approaches people take to exploring and enjoying natural landscapes.

I've done some pretty arch-packed days over the years (not sure if I ever hit double-digits in a day though) and some "see as many waterfalls as we can" days, but now I think I'd prefer just going to one area (like Copperas Creek) and spending the whole day or weekend there.

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 07:33:18 PM »

Holy guacamole that's a lot of arches!

Holy pico de gallo! :) THAT is a lot of arches. I agree with Mark W; I'm all for putting in the miles to cover maximum distance, but this type of arch hike should be done over 2-3 days to appreciate the beauty. However, if you are only day hiking - this would be nice. Thanks for sharing, ShifuCareaga.

I have actually spent a lot of late night hours researching satellite imagery and old topos, mapping out a custom 2-3 day route/loop for:
  • Castle Arch
  • Red Byrd
  • Wall of Denial
  • Eagles Nest
  • Copperas Creek (Hopewell, Snow, Double Deer, Sandy, Copperas Waterfall)
  • Gladie Creek Overlooks
  • Could even extend onto Sheltowee to Indian Staircase and ATV Freeway for day 3
If anyone or a group of people here would be down for some winter camping after Christmas or early Jan-Feb, I would love to have our own version of a KY Wild Winter meetup. Just reply or direct message me.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 04:22:56 AM »

If anyone or a group of people here would be down for some winter camping after Christmas or early Jan-Feb, I would love to have our own version of a KY Wild Winter meetup. Just reply or direct message me.

Interesting idea Josh.  I've been around the site here for a couple of years, but nothing compared to some of these guys.  Has this ever been done before?  I'd be game for sure, sometime after the Holidays.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »

There was a group hike to Red Byrd Arch in 2008: http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?page=44

Other than that, there haven't been any real organized group hikes that I'm aware of although a few have been discussed.

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »

I'm still interested in trying to organize or help organize a group hike. Would anyone on the forum be interested in a winter hike? I would be game to go in February or March. It would be great to see Copperas or some other waterfalls frozen over.

If more takers prefer warmer weather, we could hold off until the spring. Up for ideas, but would love to meet some of the people that I chat with on this forum.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »

I'd be game for holding a KyWilderness West trip out here in Montucky : )

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 04:48:32 PM »

Haha, I bet. See the infamous "Bozeman Watershed Arches" and "Butte Tunnel".

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »

I'd certainly be interested in a winter hike at the RRG.  My favorite hiking season is November - March.  Just say when.

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »

I'd be a player in February and March, beyond that my numerous places of employment start consuming my time. 

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 08:44:06 AM »

I would try my best to join up for a trip, especially for the Montucky one haha. But seriously, February or March I might be able to swing it.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »

Haha, I bet. See the infamous "Bozeman Watershed Arches" and "Butte Tunnel".

I was thinking more along the lines of this arch:

This granite arch means business! Eight miles from my front door (five on road, three on trail). : )

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »

This granite arch means business! Eight miles from my front door (five on road, three on trail). : )

Okay, sold! Everyone, pack your bags.

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry, Mark. We will try to head further West next time, but you are always welcome for a return visit! I'm not sure the best way to go about it but everyone could weigh in on some particular areas. I will list some options but keep certain arch names hidden, certainly we can plan to visit some lesser known locations in each respective area.

Please feel free to add or propose your own, I'm just starting with a few ideas and certainly not committed to anything. We could have a few options depending upon everyone's comfort level, easy hiking or bushwhacking to lesser known. I would also propose a day hike with an overnight option for those who would be interested in as long as it's not severely cold. I would prefer to do an overnight.

OPTION A:
Castle Arch to Red Byrd and beyond
Bushwhack Central
I proposed this previously, start at Castle and make the way to Red Byrd, eventually trying to cross Red River and head north.

OPTION B:
Copperas Area
Frozen Falls
Hopewell, Double Deer, Snow, Sandy + more arches, Copperas Falls, Osborne Bend, and Eagle Point Buttress

OPTION C:
Tunnel Ridge Road: Star Gap + more, Jailhouse, Double Arch, Auxier Ridge
Easy hiking in Big Sky country
Lots of options in this area with several lesser known arches, easy hiking on mostly established trails, large clearing campsites for beautiful views

OPTION D:
Major Off-Trail Bushwhack
I have several areas checked off that I want to explore for hidden arches and rock shelters. Serious takers only and if a small number want to go. This will be no trail and bushwhacking for the thrill of finding something new. GPS + topo

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »

I'd vote for Option A, only because I've not done that trip.

I'd prefer not to take on the Auxier Loop, despite it's awesomeness, having spent well over 50 nights out in that area over the last several years.  Unless of course someone knows how to find the several arches along TRR not mentioned here.  Then I might be inspired. 

I'm down for an overnight trip in any weather.  That's my kind of hiking.  Off trail all the way is fine with me as well.  I guess I'm pretty much up for any trip you guys want to do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy