Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:06:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Bazinga

October 06, 2017, 09:01:11 PM
On vaca today,  :)
Brews, backyard, camp fire,   Off to a good start.   :)

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Show 50 latest
30 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: some kinda megahike...  (Read 358 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
some kinda megahike...
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »

From MeetUp https://www.meetup.com/Central-Kentucky-Backpackers/events/236136445/?rv=me1&_xtd=gatlbWFpbF9jbGlja9oAJDEzOWJkNWNlLTQ0ZmItNDZlYi04ZDM1LTIxODJkYTc1NjA2MQ
Day Trip To Roughly 15 Arches
Central Kentucky Backpackers
Sunday, December 18, 2016
6:30 AM
Chevron Gas Station / Park and Ride
12056 Campton Rd
Slade, KY

Larry Hastings
I'm leading a trip to red Byrd arch noahs spout moonbeam arch doorway arch hole in the ceiling arch highbeam arch full moon arch Hawkeye arch rough arch Hopewell arch snow arch double deer arch copperas arch 3 copperas pillar arch I'm starting at day...

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Re: some kinda megahike...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:55:17 PM »

Holy guacamole that's a lot of arches! Always interesting to see the different approaches people take to exploring and enjoying natural landscapes.

I've done some pretty arch-packed days over the years (not sure if I ever hit double-digits in a day though) and some "see as many waterfalls as we can" days, but now I think I'd prefer just going to one area (like Copperas Creek) and spending the whole day or weekend there.

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 07:33:18 PM »

Holy guacamole that's a lot of arches!

Holy pico de gallo! :) THAT is a lot of arches. I agree with Mark W; I'm all for putting in the miles to cover maximum distance, but this type of arch hike should be done over 2-3 days to appreciate the beauty. However, if you are only day hiking - this would be nice. Thanks for sharing, ShifuCareaga.

I have actually spent a lot of late night hours researching satellite imagery and old topos, mapping out a custom 2-3 day route/loop for:
  • Castle Arch
  • Red Byrd
  • Wall of Denial
  • Eagles Nest
  • Copperas Creek (Hopewell, Snow, Double Deer, Sandy, Copperas Waterfall)
  • Gladie Creek Overlooks
  • Could even extend onto Sheltowee to Indian Staircase and ATV Freeway for day 3
If anyone or a group of people here would be down for some winter camping after Christmas or early Jan-Feb, I would love to have our own version of a KY Wild Winter meetup. Just reply or direct message me.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 04:22:56 AM »

If anyone or a group of people here would be down for some winter camping after Christmas or early Jan-Feb, I would love to have our own version of a KY Wild Winter meetup. Just reply or direct message me.

Interesting idea Josh.  I've been around the site here for a couple of years, but nothing compared to some of these guys.  Has this ever been done before?  I'd be game for sure, sometime after the Holidays.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »

There was a group hike to Red Byrd Arch in 2008: http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?page=44

Other than that, there haven't been any real organized group hikes that I'm aware of although a few have been discussed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy